Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Christians Celebrate Shavuot

Default Should Christians Celebrate Shavuot

Don't worry, I'm not back. Just putting this here for the info....

The Jewish Shavuot and Christian Pentacost are not the same thing. Those in hope of connecting to the Hebrew foundation of the Christian faith would do themselves a favor by learning the difference.

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/1...brate-shavuot/
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

You're not back??? Where are you and what have you been doing, WR?

I wish you were back, Wiskey. But even if you're not, Maybe you'll read this and respond? I read the article to which you refer, and there is much about it that probably is controversial. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the authors do not understand Christianity, as they admit, here:

"
    Author’s Note: The author and the editorial staff of Breaking Israel News are Torah Observant Jews with no personal theological connections to Christianity. The presentation of specific Christian and Jewish beliefs in this article were not meant to affect the beliefs of readers of either faith. It is our belief that Jews and Christians should connect for mutual benefit. It is our belief that his connection should be based on knowledge and understanding that lead to mutual respect. Christians have a belief in a Pentecost event and Jews have a congruent, though dissimilar, holiday called Shavuot. No disrespect was intended and any errors in understanding theology were unintentional. It is our hope that by understanding the differences, both sides can become stronger in their respective faith.
    Note from David Nekrutman: While David Nekrutman does not advocate Christians taking on Jewish practices, he advises Jews who encounter Christians wishing to participate in Shavuot holiday to recognize and appreciate the theological hurdles the person had to overcome to reach to this point in his or her’s life. This should not be an opportunity for a Jew to convert a Christian to Judaism or marginalize mainstream Christianity. One must nurture this relationship with integrity and complete transparency, and make the Christian feel welcomed in the expression of Judaism’s Shavuot."

I do appreciate that they want to encourage peace. While some "Christians" may think the Torah has been done away with, and that Pentecost is a celebration of the birth of the church, they even may be in the majority, but they have been deceived. The "Church" began in the wilderness under Moses, after leaving egypt, and the Torah has not been annulled. Shavuot, Pentecost, the Feast of Weeks, celebrates the giving of the Law, a very special blessing indeed! It was celebrated at the time of the wheat harvest, not the barley harvest, which was the first "crop" to ripen. The bread made with the wheat flour, had leaven in it, but was required to be baked first, away from the altar, before offering it, to stop the leavening action.

While many 'Christians' have been deceived by false teachers that claim that the Law should not be celebrated, there are many of us who are becoming aware that God's love as demonstrated by the giving of the perfect Law of God should be honored by keeping Shavuot.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    "does not advocate Christians taking on Jewish practices" "Judaism’s Shavuot."
    Lol. They seem to think it belongs to Judah. Father calls them HIS appointments.

Lev 23:2 “Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and say to them, ‘The appointed times of יהוה, which you are to proclaim as set-apart gatherings, My appointed times, are these...
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

It is an enormous thing to expect Christians to accept a holiday that celebrates the receiving of the rabbinic tradition.
    Quite an understatement. Why should any Christian accept a holiday that celebrates the receiving of the rabbinic tradition, which not only denies the reality of who Jesus Christ is but is hostile toward Him? How can any Rabbi claim to know the truth of the Torah while denying Jesus Christ who is the Way the Truth and the Life and who is the living Word of God?

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    I wish you were back, Wiskey. But even if you're not, Maybe you'll read this and respond? I read the article to which you refer, and there is much about it that probably is controversial. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the authors do not understand Christianity, as they admit, here:

"
    Author’s Note: The author and the editorial staff of Breaking Israel News are Torah Observant Jews with no personal theological connections to Christianity. The presentation of specific Christian and Jewish beliefs in this article were not meant to affect the beliefs of readers of either faith. It is our belief that Jews and Christians should connect for mutual benefit. It is our belief that his connection should be based on knowledge and understanding that lead to mutual respect. Christians have a belief in a Pentecost event and Jews have a congruent, though dissimilar, holiday called Shavuot. No disrespect was intended and any errors in understanding theology were unintentional. It is our hope that by understanding the differences, both sides can become stronger in their respective faith.
    Note from David Nekrutman: While David Nekrutman does not advocate Christians taking on Jewish practices, he advises Jews who encounter Christians wishing to participate in Shavuot holiday to recognize and appreciate the theological hurdles the person had to overcome to reach to this point in his or her’s life. This should not be an opportunity for a Jew to convert a Christian to Judaism or marginalize mainstream Christianity. One must nurture this relationship with integrity and complete transparency, and make the Christian feel welcomed in the expression of Judaism’s Shavuot."

I do appreciate that they want to encourage peace. While some "Christians" may think the Torah has been done away with, and that Pentecost is a celebration of the birth of the church, they even may be in the majority, but they have been deceived. The "Church" began in the wilderness under Moses, after leaving egypt, and the Torah has not been annulled. Shavuot, Pentecost, the Feast of Weeks, celebrates the giving of the Law, a very special blessing indeed! It was celebrated at the time of the wheat harvest, not the barley harvest, which was the first "crop" to ripen. The bread made with the wheat flour, had leaven in it, but was required to be baked first, away from the altar, before offering it, to stop the leavening action.

While many 'Christians' have been deceived by false teachers that claim that the Law should not be celebrated, there are many of us who are becoming aware that God's love as demonstrated by the giving of the perfect Law of God should be honored by keeping Shavuot.

Matthew 16:18
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

"will build" is future tense. 'Church' is found (79) times in the New Testament and (0) times in the Old Testament.
    Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Grid Organics View Post
    Lol. They seem to think it belongs to Judah. Father calls them HIS appointments.

Lev 23:2 “Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and say to them, ‘The appointed times of יהוה, which you are to proclaim as set-apart gatherings, My appointed times, are these...
    Exactly, Off Grid! Same thing with HIS Sabbaths. They are not "Jewish Sabbaths", they are His Sabbaths.

Wiskey, wish you were still here.
    I learn from you
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by PsalmSinger View Post
    Matthew 16:18
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

"will build" is future tense. 'Church' is found (79) times in the New Testament and (0) times in the Old Testament.
    PsalmSinger, Acts 7:38 refers to the church in the wilderness, that Moses led. It is my understanding that the word ekklesia, from which we get the word, church, means 'called out ones', like those called out of Egypt, or like us, called out from the world. This can mean synagogues or other assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post
    Quite an understatement. Why should any Christian accept a holiday that celebrates the receiving of the rabbinic tradition, which not only denies the reality of who Jesus Christ is but is hostile toward Him? How can any Rabbi claim to know the truth of the Torah while denying Jesus Christ who is the Way the Truth and the Life and who is the living Word of God?
    Well bang a gong and play the fife! Very troubling verses in regards to those who reject Messiah...

1Jn 2:22-23 Who is THE LIAR, except the one denying that יהושע is the Messiah? This is the anti-messiah, the one denying the Father and the Son. NO ONE denying the Son has the Father. THE ONE CONFESSING the Son has the Father as well.

1Jn 4:15 WHOEVER CONFESSES that יהושע is the Son of Elohim, Elohim stays IN HIM, and he in Elohim.

Joh 5:23 that all should value the Son even as they value the Father. He who DOES NOT VALUE the Son DOES NOT VALUE THE FATHER who sent Him.

Joh 8:19 Therefore they said to Him, “Where is Your Father?” יהושע answered, “You know neither Me nor My Father. IF you KNEW ME, you would have known My Father also.”

2Jn 1:9 Everyone who is transgressing and not staying in the teaching OF MESSIAH does not possess Elohim. The one who stays in the teaching of Messiah possesses BOTH the Father and the Son.

1Co 16:22 If anyone does not love the Master יהושע Messiah, let him be a curse. Maranatha!
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.