Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should Christians Celebrate Shavuot

This is interesting to me because we've been celebrating the feast for over 8 years. Studying scripture and getting some actual hands on experiential understanding of Judaism , Hebrew Roots Movement , and the origins of Christianity is truly eye opening and gives the scriptures real context like it's never had before. But this was really only necessary because the Church is so devoid of meaningful teaching ; folks wouldn't get caught up in the loosing side of a 1900 year old argument if they had been better instructed from the beginning . People in the church that have not been inoculated against the very doctrines that Paul fought against, are not going to fair well when they are challenged by the same arguments. AS Jesus said search the scriptures , in them you think you have life , they are which testify of me!

Well let's take Shavuot from Judaism perspective the 50th day after Sabbath following the Passover , no new wheat could be eaten until this harvest celebration was performed in the land of Israel . The feast itself was a marker for the giving of the Torah at Mount Sinai . A couple of events happened that might concern us , one the people didn't want to hear the voice of God ( lets they die) , they wanted a mediator and sent Moses to "hear from the Lord and then do what ever he said" so Moses went up for 40 days and came down to the noise of sin in the camp , Moses broke the tablets of stone and 3000 people were slaughtered , the Aaronic priesthood was initiated because they took up the sword to kill the idolaters .

So something went horribly wrong here , the LORD himself spoke and that was too much for the people, they wanted a mediator and to not hear his voice , with Moses absent they rose up to play and the only a select group became priest when the original plan of God was that they be a kingdom of priest.

So some 1500 years later Jesus fulfilled the Passover , as the Lamb of God, and our mediator , our unleavened bread and the first-fruits from the dead , 50 days later at the feast of Shavuot the Shakinah glory of the LORD falls ( cloven tongues as of fire) on the 120 in the upper room in the temple and they began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance , and they were declaring the wonderful works of God. 3000 souls were saved that day , and this new kingdom of priest was born having the law written on their heart by the Holy Spirit.

Paul uses these two separate events, these two covenants as an allegory of Hagar and Sarah , one of works and one of promise , one of the letter and one of the Spirit , so Judaism is still under the law and in the hands of a mediator ( rabbis) , while true Christianity received the Holy Spirit by promise , through belief in Jesus as lord and savoir ( and the head of every man) and the infilling of the Holy Spirit (an adoption of Son-ship).

I don't know what day I got filled with the Holy Spirit , but I promise you it changed my life forever . If I never celebrated Shavuot or Pentecost , and still had the gift of the Holy Spirit , I would be as complete as I need to be in Christ , and that shadow picture that pointed to eternal life , is just a shadow, the substance is that vitality and the Spirit of the living God communing with me , covenanting with me , changing me ; securing me in his hand. The feast day is just a history lesson and a date on the calendar the substance is with me to the end of the earth everyday.

So what is more important? Receiving the holy Spirit or celebrating Shavuot?

I think Paul asked a really similar question ...

1O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spiritby works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3Are you so foolish? After starting in the Spirit, are you now finishing in the flesh?

Clearvoice, I continue to be amazed at the change God has worked in your heart and in your understanding of His Word! I don't know of anyone else who was in a similar position to yours who has experienced the transformation that you have made. I believe that God brings all of us through different circumstances and trials in our lives so that ultimately we might use those things to bring glory to Him. Thank you for bringing your unique perspective and understanding to this discussion and for making the distinction between the shadows and the reality.

I second that emotion.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Thank you, clearvoice. Your comments are much appreciated.

Default Thanks 49er

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post
    Clearvoice, I continue to be amazed at the change God has worked in your heart and in your understanding of His Word! I don't know of anyone else who was in a similar position to yours who has experienced the transformation that you have made. I believe that God brings all of us through different circumstances and trials in our lives so that ultimately we might use those things to bring glory to Him. Thank you for bringing your unique perspective and understanding to this discussion and for making the distinction between the shadows and the reality.
    I must say I know more about the bible than I ever have in my life so there was a benefit , but God shut that Messianic door tight for me through a series of events that were quite painful yet very eye opening. When I needed restoration it was my Spirit filled Christian brothers that had something of real value to help me , grace and love , prayers of faith ready to forgive and restore, and it made be realize the self righteousness and dependence on adherence to legalism that is behind many of the sects of HRM an those more closely associated with Judaism are really just a form of godliness that lack true power. Their dogma can only condemn the struggling and many marginalize our true Shepard, Jesus Christ and the operational power of the Holy Spirit. I watched as my kids didn't have the hope in Jesus that I learned as a teenager , an I lost one son to the cultish dogma and narcissism that thrives int that renegade wild west of false prophecy and heretical theology. But I still stand on the belief that all things work for the good of them that love God and are called according to his purpose , and even in my sons situation I have hope that it is for the salvation of many , and that God has his hand on him like he had on Joseph. The biggest thing that got me out was my tenacious trust in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and the power of the Holy Spirit and his grace and love for me.

Hey clearvoice,

I have every confidence that He can bring them/him out.

There have been some debates on here, that later, maybe much later, they returned, and told us they came out of all that. Just saying it's not a closed door.

And yes, sometimes it takes us getting in a deep pit, before we meet the Lord.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by clearvoice View Post
    I lost one son to the cultish dogma and narcissism that thrives int that renegade wild west of false prophecy and heretical theology. But I still stand on the belief that all things work for the good of them that love God and are called according to his purpose , and even in my sons situation I have hope that it is for the salvation of many , and that God has his hand on him like he had on Joseph.
    I agree with what Cary said and will be praying for that.