Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pickle recipes

Default Pickle recipes

Please post your pickle recipes in this thread...thanks!

She

Default Polish Dill Pickles

#1 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
    momof23goats
    Congressman Join Date: May 2007

polish dill pickles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polish Dill Pickles
    Scrub small cucumbers with a brush and wash to get all the grit off. Sterilize quart jars. Pack cucumbers into sterilized quart jars.
    To each jar, add:
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    a head of fresh dill
    a few slices of fresh garlic
    1 dried red hot pepper OR 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

Heat the following mixture to almost a boil, bubbling around the edges:
    6 cups water
    2 cups white vinegar
    1/2 cup pickling/canning salt

Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers and seasonings that are packed in the jars. (Have jar lids ready, heated in hot water for a few minutes according the manufacturer's directions.) Place the lids and rings on each jar and tighten.

Place in a water bath canner for 5 minutes. Remove from the canner and allow to cool at room temperature.

Make sure each jar is sealed or they will ruin.

Let stand for at least a month to six weeks before opening.

Default Half pickled Cucumbers

#2 Today, 08:16 AM
    kendwell
    Citizen Join Date: Jun 2008

half pickled cucumbers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russian recipe. 10 pickling cucumbers, 4-5" long, 5 dill stalks w/seeds, 1 " piece fresh shredded horseradish root, 1 med clove garlic, cut in half, 2 1/2 Tbsp pickling salt, 1 black currant, cherry, or oak leaf.

lay currant, cherry or oak leaf bottom of 2 qt glass jar, wide mouth

Wash cucumbers, drain, dry, punch each with a fork a few times. Stand upright in the jar on the leaf. In between cucumbers, distribute dill, garlic, and horseradish.

In stainless sauce pan, salt w/ 1 qt water. Bring almost to a boil. Pour over cucumbers, making sure to cover them completely.

Cover jar loosely with cheesecloth, let stand at room temperature for 24
    hours. Pickles are now ready to eat. You may also refrigerate them in their brine for up to a week, if they last that long. You don't NEED the leaf, but it makes a difference

Default Cold Pack Pickles

#1 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM
    momof23goats

cold pack pickles

small cakes
    1c. vinegar
    1 c. sugar
    2 c water
    1 teaspoon salt.
    fill your hot jars with cukes, mix brine, heat, pour over your pickles. process in hot boiling water bath. 10 minutes.
    remember to run your knife around the inside of the jar to take out bubbles.
    this is an easy recipe, you can play with it. like add dill, for sweet dills. you can use small cakes, or larger ones and cut lengthwise.
    I also add a very small dab of alum to the bottom of each jar. and i mean a small dab. but i love very crisp pickles.
    also when I get my pickles into the house, from the garden, I wash, then chill in ice, then can. right up. don't use old pickles if you want good results.

remember for good results, hot boiling water in your pot, and the minutes start when the water starts to boil again, after putting in your jars.

Default Simple Kosher Dill Pickles

#1 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
    momof23goats

simple kosher dill pickles

30 to 36 cucumbers 3 to 4 inches long
    3 c. water
    3 cups vinegar
    6 T. salt
    fresh or dried dill
    mustard seed. minced garlic,[ optional]
    make your brine, of water, vinegar, salt ,bring to a good boil.
    in each jar, add, 1 teaspoon mustard seed.
    1 teaspoon, dried dill, or one dill head, fresh
    1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
    pack jars with cucumbers, fill with brine.
    process 10 minutes in hot boiling water.
    make usre your water covers your jars, by one inch.

Default Very Easy Dill Pickles

#1 05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
    momof23goats

very easy dill pickles-any one can make these

7quarts of 3 to 6 inch cucumbers
    1 1/2 cups of pickling salt
    6 cups of vinegar
    1/4 cup of sugar
    2 tablespoon whole mixec pickling spices
    whole mustard seed
    dill seed

wash your cukes and dry them. and then drain them so all water is off.
    combine pickling salt and 2 gallons of water for brine. cover the cukes with the brine. let stand over night.
    and then drain.
    combine vinegar the vinegar salt sugar, 9 cups of water and the mixed pickling spices, tied up in a thin cloth in a large pot. and bring to a boil. Let stand and pack your cukes into hot jars, [sterilized jars], add 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds,. and 2 tablespoons of dill seeds to each jar.
    now wipe off the top of your jars really well. then dry the top of your jars, making sure they are clean, and dry. now put on hot serilized lids and rings.
    then process in hot boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

Default 3 Generations of Virginias' Dill Pickles

Virginia's Easy Dill Pickles (makes 12 quarts)

14 cups water
    6 cups white vinegar
    8 Tbsp pickling salt

1/2 bushel 4-5" cucumbers
    12 Tbsp minced garlic
    6 Tbsp dill seed
    6 tsp whole mustard seed

Mix water, vinegar and pickling salt in a large, non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer while filling jars.

Wash cucumbers and trim 1/8" off blossom end.

Place into each quart jar: 1 Tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 Tbsp (1 & 1/2 tsp) dill seed, and 1/2 tsp whole mustard seed.

Pack cleaned, trimmed cukes tightly into sterile quart jars (you may slice lengthwise for sandwich stackers, crosswise for chips, quarters for spears, or leave whole)

Pour simmering brine over cucumbers and spices in jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Wipe rims and place heated lids on jars. Follow with rings. Process in a boiling bath for 15 minutes.

Remove jars from canner and place on a towel topped counter away from drafts to seal.

Let cure in jars at least 4 weeks before opening. These pickles get better with age, if you can wait that long!

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Default Refrigerator Sweet Pickles - no canning required

Ingredients:
    2 quarts of sliced cukes - (score with a fork before slicing) - approx. 8 medium cukes
    1 medium onion - thinly sliced
    2 tb of canning salt
    1 1/3 cups of sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar

Place sliced cukes and onions in a bowl. Sprinkle salt over mixture, then allow to sit for 2 hours, stirring often. Then drain.

Put cuke mixture back in the bowl. Add 1 1/3 cups of sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar, stir. Put in covered containers. Keep refrigerated.
    Do thou O Lord, protect us, guard us ever from this generation. On every side the wicked prowl as vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
    Psalm 12:7-8

In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell. —William Booth founder and general of the Salvation Army 1829-1916

Default Pickled (dill) Green tomatoes

For using up those little green tomatoes at the end of the garden season!

Pickled (dill) green tomatoes

3 C. white vinegar
    3 C. water
    12 garlic cloves peeled and sliced or 3 TBS diced garlic
    1/2 C. pickling salt
    4-5 lbs green tomatoes whole or wedges (can also use green cherry tomatoes)
    1/4 C. dill seed or dill weed
    1 TBS peppercorns (optional)

Combine vinegar, water, garlic, and salt in pan. Heat to boiling. Wash tomatoes and slice into wedges if needed. Pack tomatoes into hot, sterile jars. Add to each jar the peppercorns and dill. Remove garlic cloves from liquid if so desired. I leave mine in to give the pickles a more garlic flavor. Pour liquid mixture over tomatoes to within 1/2" headspace. Put lids on and adjust. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes pints, 15 for quarts. I usually only do mine in pints or it is too hard to get the pickles out fast enough lol! Now for the hard part...let pickles sit 8 weeks before using.

One thing I have noticed with making these pickles is that if you want a stronger dill flavor, to add the dill to the vinegar mixture as you are heating it, bring it to a boil and let boil for another 5 minutes.

She

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    #1 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
    momof23goats

simple kosher dill pickles

30 to 36 cucumbers 3 to 4 inches long
    3 c. water
    3 cups vinegar
    6 T. salt
    fresh or dried dill
    mustard seed. minced garlic,[ optional]
    make your brine, of water, vinegar, salt ,bring to a good boil.
    in each jar, add, 1 teaspoon mustard seed.
    1 teaspoon, dried dill, or one dill head, fresh
    1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
    pack jars with cucumbers, fill with brine.
    process 10 minutes in hot boiling water.
    make usre your water covers your jars, by one inch.

Okay - I used this particular recipe last night, putting up my 1st batch of pickles. Question - how long is recommended to let them sit before trying? I've got a DH who desparately wants to know :)