Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickle recipes

No, I do them both ways, whole and sliced (like Stackers? from Vlasic) and they do well either way.

She

Here is my pickle recipie.

3 qt water
    1 qt vinegar
    1 C salt
    1 clove garlic
    1 head dill
    Wash cukes. Put into clean jars. To your jars add garlic and dill. While loading jars, bring water, vinegar, salt to an almost boil. Pour over cukes, dill, and garlic. Put simmering lids and rings on. Process for 10 min. in boilling water bath. Cool on towell. DH loves my pickles but wishes they were a little more crunchy. Maybe I'll try a little allum this year.

Leslie

Wink

Hey rights, hunybee turned me onto a product called "Pickle Crisp" that works just great! It's not allum, but a different chemical (natural but cannot remember the name right now) that gives the pickles that extra umph to keep them crispy. I bought a small jar (only 1/4 tsp per quart!) and it will last me a long time. The best thing about it is that it really does work! Hey for under 4.00 it's worth a try...right right? LOL....

She

Hey She, Thanks for telling me about this!! It's on my shopping list. And your Right......if it works, it's well worth the 4 bucks.

Thanks for all the pickle recipes. I have one question.. Do I have to use pickling cukes? I have a cukes but not all are pickling. If I cant use them for pickles can I use them for relish? Ok thats 2 questions

You can use other cukes. Pick them SMALL and use them as fresh as possible...

Summerthyme

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I just made my very first batch of pickles, ever. I've made jelly and jam, but no pickles before. This time was strictly in self defense...a friend "gifted" me with 2 5-gallon buckets of cucumbers! I got the Ball pickle pack, and made it up according to the directions, except I used a 5-gallon bucket with a gamma-seal lid, since I didn't have enough Mason jars. Worked great! This past weekend we were having extended family over, and I pulled a half-dozen of the pickles out of the bucket and stuck them in an old pickle jar I'd hung on to, poured some of the pickle juice from the bucket in on them, and refrigerated. They were great! (I am so amazed....)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Nice job grower. Wish I could say the same for my first time :(.. They are in the canner now but ran short on some juice in the bread and butter pickles and had a little extra from the dill so I used that. Since I'm new to all this I now realize how something so simple sure has a lot of tricks to learn. I also combined cukes and zucchini in one jar. Didnt say I could do that but didnt say I couldnt LOL.

Made relish yesterday, that wasnt much better but I learned a lot the last two days on what not to do LOL.

Berean,

I made your recipe, I really loved the sweet/sour taste. But.... my pickles were way-way-way to salty!!!!! So I was wondering do they need to "pickle" over night
    to temper that salty taste? or Do I just cut down on the salt? (I rinsed them well)
    I used 2 Tablespoons.

Thank you,

Iced Coffee :)

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    #1 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
    momof23goats
    Congressman Join Date: May 2007

polish dill pickles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polish Dill Pickles
    Scrub small cucumbers with a brush and wash to get all the grit off. Sterilize quart jars. Pack cucumbers into sterilized quart jars.
    To each jar, add:
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    a head of fresh dill
    a few slices of fresh garlic
    1 dried red hot pepper OR 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

Heat the following mixture to almost a boil, bubbling around the edges:
    6 cups water
    2 cups white vinegar
    1/2 cup pickling/canning salt

Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers and seasonings that are packed in the jars. (Have jar lids ready, heated in hot water for a few minutes according the manufacturer's directions.) Place the lids and rings on each jar and tighten.

Place in a water bath canner for 5 minutes. Remove from the canner and allow to cool at room temperature.

Make sure each jar is sealed or they will ruin.

Let stand for at least a month to six weeks before opening.
    With this one How many cukes or pounds of cukes and what size jars? Thanks.