Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomato plants/No blooms

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
    Less nitrogen?

Check your Miracle gro
    That may (or may not) be the culprit
    Well, of course, Davy!

We have been inundated with rain for the past month with more on the way. We haven't had a chance, because of all the rain to use any Miracle Gro, yet. Too much water! Gardens are growing in rich composted soil, and we put a sprinkle of triple 8 fertilizer in each hole when we planted the tomatoes. That's all they've had, except for a light spraying of Epsom Salts.

If it doesn't stop raining soon, the gardens are going to float down the hillside!

Epsom salt functions as a source of magnesium. It will only help if your soil is deficient in magnesium or is highly acidic. Soil is rarely deficient in magnesium, so epsom salt is generally not effective, despite being very popular. If you grew them in rich soil, they may take a little longer to flower, but they will catch up eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by grower
    Back when I was a newlywed, there was an older gentleman living across the street from us that was not in good health. At the prodding of the Holy Spirit, I went to visit him and we would just talk. One day I told him I had beautiful tomato plants, but they were not bearing any tomatoes. He said, "You gotta whip'em! Just cut a switch, and switch those tomato plants. It will make them think they're dying, and they will reproduce."

Thought he was joking! But no, he was serious! So, I did what he said. I cut a switch and went out there and switched my tomato plants, just as if they were bad, bad boys. I kid you not, before the week was out, they had blossoms!
    That's funny. I'd guess that what happened in this case is that beating the plant broke the tips of some of the stems. When you remove the growing tip, that results in a change in hormonal suppression that allows side branches to grow more and can also promote flowering. Rather than risk a lot of damage by beating the plant, you could just pinch the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo
    Epsom salt functions as a source of magnesium. It will only help if your soil is deficient in magnesium or is highly acidic. Soil is rarely deficient in magnesium, so epsom salt is generally not effective, despite being very popular. If you grew them in rich soil, they may take a little longer to flower, but they will catch up eventually.
    They are growing in rich soil. Maybe I should just be more patient, huh? Thanks!

I don't know if you had a non-existent spring like we did up here.
    It was really cold until the first week in May and almost went straight to summer.

For me, my season is ahead.
    I planted almost 3 weeks before I normally would but my garden is doing well because the soil got warm fast.

I have a few tomato blossoms, by the way.
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

We picked our first ripe cherry tomato yesterday! All of our veggies seem to be coming around nicely now. Small cukes, squash, peppers, and tomatoes are finally loaded in blooms. Peas and beans are doing great, too.

Wishing everyone a great harvest season!