Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Summer BBQ Recipes?

Default Backyard Summer BBQ Recipes?

What are your favorite backyard BBQ recipes? I'm bored with mine, and need new ideas. Anyone?

Well, Its not really a BBQ recipe, but these are a summer tradition around here.

Refrigerator Sweet Pickles - (no canning required)

Ingredients:

2 quarts of sliced cukes - (score with a fork before slicing) - approx. 8 medium cukes
    1 medium onion - thinly sliced
    2 tb of canning salt
    1 1/3 cups of sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar

Place sliced cukes and onions in a bowl. Sprinkle salt over mixture, then allow to sit for 2 hours, stirring often. Then drain.

Put cuke mixture back in the bowl. Add 1 1/3 cups of sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar, stir. Put in covered containers. Keep refrigerated.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseWolf View Post
    Well, Its not really a BBQ recipe, but these are a summer tradition around here.

Refrigerator Sweet Pickles - (no canning required)

Ingredients:

2 quarts of sliced cukes - (score with a fork before slicing) - approx. 8 medium cukes
    1 medium onion - thinly sliced
    2 tb of canning salt
    1 1/3 cups of sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar

Place sliced cukes and onions in a bowl. Sprinkle salt over mixture, then allow to sit for 2 hours, stirring often. Then drain.

Put cuke mixture back in the bowl. Add 1 1/3 cups of sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar, stir. Put in covered containers. Keep refrigerated.
    That's a good one, HW! My cukes are just now coming in. Thanks, will try for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    That's a good one, HW! My cukes are just now coming in. Thanks, will try for sure!
    Just a note, I usually reduce the sugar to a cup, and add extra vinegar. I make enough of the mixture to cover the cukes in the jars.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseWolf View Post
    Just a note, I usually reduce the sugar to a cup, and add extra vinegar. I make enough of the mixture to cover the cukes in the jars.
    Yes, I did that as well. Delicious! I had a recipe that is similar, but without the soak time and without the onions. It's already too hot outside to do much grilling, but this recipe goes with anything.

Yesterday, I smoked a pork butt and had pulled pork sandwiches with some good restaurant cole slaw.
    And home made strawberry ice cream
    If you're interested, I can look up he recipes
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Yesterday, I smoked a pork butt and had pulled pork sandwiches with some good restaurant cole slaw.
    And home made strawberry ice cream
    If you're interested, I can look up he recipes
    I've never smoked anything before. Do you have a smoker or use a regular grill? Recipes are always appreciated.

I have this monstrosity I bought quite a few years ago.
    It was a combo gas grill, charcoal grill and smoker
    It's about the size of a 1955 Desoto.

It's not very good but will do until I get a decent one
    There's a lo of stuff on YouTube on using Weber Kettle grills for smoking. BBQ Pit Boys have a lot.

The pork recipe is on GeniusKitchen.com "BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Homemade BBQ Sauce."

The coleslaw is on allrecipes.com "Sweet restaurant Slaw"

The ice cream is on addapinch.com "Old fashioned vanilla ice cream recipe"

These are not keto.

I ot he pork recipe
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    I have this monstrosity I bought quite a few years ago.
    It was a combo gas grill, charcoal grill and smoker
    It's about the size of a 1955 Desoto.

It's not very good but will do until I get a decent one
    There's a lo of stuff on YouTube on using Weber Kettle grills for smoking. BBQ Pit Boys have a lot.

The pork recipe is on GeniusKitchen.com "BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Homemade BBQ Sauce."

The coleslaw is on allrecipes.com "Sweet restaurant Slaw"

The ice cream is on addapinch.com "Old fashioned vanilla ice cream recipe"

These are not keto.

I ot he pork recipe
    No, not keto, but thanks anyway. Cary doesn't have to watch his diet, so..........

I'm on a several week fall off the wagon until next Monday

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner