Thread: Semi-urgent sauerkraut question

Default Semi-urgent sauerkraut question

I started a batch of sauerkraut 2 days ago with 7-1/2 lbs. of cabbage.
    After punching it down I realized that wasn't a lot of sauerkraut.

I was able to get a little more cabbage and was wondering if I could add this to the batch.
    (Properly salting and crushing first)

I have tried sauerkraut unsuccessfully in the past and hoping this time it works.
    Got a brand new crock for this.

Thank you for your help and advice
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

If it's only been a few days, I think you would be okay to add and mix up the cabbages. I make mine in 3 or 4 gallon square food grade buckets. I mix the shredded cabbage at a ratio of 1 cup non-iodized salt to 20# of cabbage. I put a gallon baggie of salt water on top of the kraut-the baggie exactly fits the square "icing" bucket. This seals the air out. I put the plastic bucket lid on top of the baggie. The salt insures no danger if the baggie springs a leak. I keep the bucket in my laundry room on the first floor which is about 70-75 degrees for 4-6 weeks. I just keep checking it for taste.

I've never had it turn black on top, but sometimes it looks a bit slimy and I just skim that off. I add citric acid to canning jars (to insure proper acidity) and water bath can it. Never had a failure, and it's so good. Got my instructions from an Amish festival in Pa.

Thanks, Carol.
    I used Canning ad Pickling salt.

I have to attempt real dill pickles a little later and then add to my sauerkraut.
    Any suggestions for them?

I did refrigerator dills last year and they were ok but not great
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

I made two batches that I found at https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/horseradish-pickles/

I dug my own horseradish and made a horseradish sauce with vinegar to use. And actually I did what you are asking about with your kraut. I made a small batch in a crock. After about a week, they were tasting pretty good, so I did another batch and put in a two gallon glass jar. The next morning there was dill vinegar all over the floor from a tiny crack in the jar. I emptied out the cukes and the rest of the vinegar/dill/garlic/horseradish and added it to the ones I had made the week before. They are doing great. These are refrigerator pickles that I won't be canning.