Thread: Cook a Meal without a stove

Smile Cook a Meal without a stove

Maybe you all have already tried this, but I love it and will post it just in case someone has never had these:

HOBO DINNER
    You will need squares of heavy duty tinfoil - like a foot square or so one for each person or more if someone eats more:

Form hamburger patties and place one on each square
    On top of the hamburger patty, place sliced raw potatoes, peel and all (washed of course)
    Add a slice or two of onion.
    S&P to taste.

fold up the foil tightly around the meat and potatoes
    toss into a campfire and forget about it for about 30 minutes or so. If it looks like it is getting too hot, just pull it aside the fire and leave to cook.

When done, unroll out of foil, and you have a meal. You saved on gas and you have no dishes to wash.
    Also, love to throw in corn on the cob still in the husk.

Of course you can also do this on a grill, or in an oven

Default cook without a stove

There are several campfire tricks. Use an old fashioned cast iron dutch oven with lid. Put your meal inside wraped in foil (to save scrubbing) and cover with red coals from the fire. Then cover with about 6" or so of dirt to create the oven. We have cooked some very tasty tender ribs and roasts this way. Start the meal right after breakfast then go do those things you went camping for (fishing, hunting, hiking) come back in the afternoon or evening to a tasty hot meal.

Another option is using something reflective. shiny metal is great for backpacking because of durability. But you can set up the reflectors to make your portable solar cooking devise. You have to do some practicing to get the angles and distance right for proper cooking. In the desert south west solor cookers cooked whole chickens in about the same time as an over would.
    Last edited by joyce1954; 08-20-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot one little detail

Fire cooking is the best. This was made for our grandmother, so she can cook with wood and not have to bend over as much. It works great.

That would be navajo Dry-Bread and mutton being cooked!

"If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."

Hobo's...yummy...I still enjoy eating them even though I'm all grown up. I remember my mom making those for us kids when we were all small and out camping. We would go hiking or fishing with dad and come back to the campsite with mom cooking those wonderful packets in the fire. What great memories I find now in every little packet of foil I take from the flames.

She

looks good, Navajo. and I do love hobo dinners, my self Shewolf.
    I also like to wrap up a chicken, and put it in a hole under the fire.
    yummy.
    momof23goats

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
    Fire cooking is the best. This was made for our grandmother, so she can cook with wood and not have to bend over as much. It works great.

That would be navajo Dry-Bread and mutton being cooked!

I am green with envy, Navajo, What a wonderful thing to do for your grandmother. You sound like a pretty terrific grandson. I would love to have this in my yard to cook on. I also love that you put your Grandma's name on the top. I am going to show my son this picture and do a lot of hinting!!!! LOL Thanks for a beautiful stove and love shown your family.

My ex-father-in-law cooked hamnurgers on his manifold. So if desperate, just start your car.

We started a small fire within a small ring of rocks. Placed a very thin, flat rock ontop and let it heat up. Poured a little olive oil on the rock and cooked our corn fritters. When done, we cooked our breakfast eggs on the rock. This was so much fun at girl scout camp.

I'm very thankful to our scout leader for taking the time to teach us those vital survival skills. Thank you so much!

I would like to build an Indian oven that I can bake bread in. Does anyone have a site that shows how to build one of these?

T

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Electra View Post
    My ex-father-in-law cooked hamnurgers on his manifold. So if desperate, just start your car.
    LOL! A few months ago, Bizarre Foods on The Travel Channel had an Alaska episode. One of the tour guides wrapped a cleaned ptarmigan, onions, and seasonings in tin foil, then placed the packet on the manifold of his snowmobile. By the time they reached their destination, voila! Dinner was served!
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein