Thread: Wheel chair

Default Wheel chair

... not for me.

My mother came to live with me a couple of years back, not ideal for her but all things considered ... a good choice.

Unbeknownst to me (back then) she has a history of mini strokes or TIA(?), so she decided to give up driving.

I've been doing things my way, by myself, for myself for a very long time now and I'm not accustomed to having others tag along. Now I know some mothers and daughters become quite good pals but I don't believe such is the case with sons and mothers ... certainly not with me.

I hate driving, anywhere for anything even out here in these lovely boondocks. I just don't like it ... but sometimes I have to. Gotta get parts, lumber, building stuff, tools, you know.
    Well, my mother takes great personal offense cuz I don't offer to bring her along.

My worthless brother lived with her for quite a few years, was unemployed and had nothing better to do than to take her cruzin with him when he became bored or needed more smokes.

Ma used to be able to waddle along and get about on her own out in the yard with her cane but due to an instance of instability my worthless sister convinced her to become dependent on a walker ... a pretty red one with mag wheels and a cup holder.

I have in the recent past carted her along for my monthly grocery shopping but she poops out (without pushing any cart, just a walker) well before I'm halfway finished and of course now I am finished, so my monthly, 60 mile round trip shopping becomes a bimonthly (that's twice) event.

To the point, we live on relatively pristine 9 acres of country bumpkin land with lots of trees, some slightly rolling terrain and some cows that is too difficult for her and her purty red walker to traverse but if I can find her a powered, all terrain wheel chair, she could venture out on her own, at will and maybe we dispense with the self pity act.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of appliance ... it's gotta be able to come in the house too.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

O.W.
    Last edited by Oscar Wilde; 10-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Not sure about an all terrain scooter, but they make walkers with fold down seats that could turn the shopping trip back into a monthly event. (If you're lucky )

Wishing you some luck.
    "I never let schooling interfere with my education."

Thanks John.

Her walker has a seat, maybe a reclining feature too, it's nifty.

No John, I don't want to take her shopping. I want her to enjoy a sense of independence, get out and enjoy the homestead a bit ... if I'm lucky she'll feed them cows while she's out 'n about.

O.W.

it's a hassle but well worth it, if you need proof go to any old folks home and look at those who have been forgotten.....they do have devices where people like your mom can be more mobile and independent and their are agencys out there that will even get or modify a rig for wheelchair accessable, there are ways to make this happen, but it will not be over night,
    the more you include them the happier the will be, I took care of both my father and mother for the last 14 years of their lives and it was a profound expereince for me, and they turned out to be my bestiest friends, oh sometimes I wanted to send them to bed but that ain't happening...............I miss both of them everyday.....good luck on your end

Quote Originally Posted by always learning View Post
    it's a hassle but well worth it,
    Thanks A L.

She's no hassle, it's just that while accommodating her need for adventure I manage to accomplish tasks at 1/10 my usual speed. I suppose I could just be getting old and using her as the excuse ... nah, she's a boat anchor.

She likes to get out of the house and if she had the means that provided her with comfort and confidence I know she'd spend her time out doors enjoying the natural setting ... and maybe go feed the cows.

O.W.

OW, I totally understand the one thing we must not do is take away their self worth and independence that is one of the biggiest killers of our old loved ones....................boy do I know about reducing our productive time, it was the same with me...I was a saddle maker and an active shop which helped them interact with customers, in fact many of my customers would come by especially to visit with John or Mom as they call them.....we had horses, chickens and bees which helped and my place was friendly to their needs and abilities, and winter was hard on us all,................................. and they do have like all terrian scooter type vehicles for her to do what you are thinking...........good luck

Quote Originally Posted by always learning View Post
    I was a saddle maker ....
    How very cool ... thanks A L.

O.W.

We helped build a deck for a golf cart for an ol'boy so he could just walk out and get in and drive around maybe something I don't know. Good Luck.
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"

Thanks Plainsman. Access isn't the issue.

We have 9 acres here that she could immerse herself in had she a means of mobility and given the slightly rolling terrain it needs to be balanced with low center of gravity and lots of traction.

Of course now she's changed her mind, "it's too much money".

Ok ma, keep a close count and you can take it with you ....

O.W.