Thread: fig/strawberry jam

Default fig/strawberry jam

3 cups mashed figs
    2 3 oz. packs of strawberry jello
    3 cups sugar

Mix together in a large pan, bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Stir occasionally. Pour into jars and seal.

Default pineapple jam-- easy

I was nosing around tonight, and found this. i think i will make it , probably friday. sounds so good.

Pineapple Jam
    ShadoeRose provided this recipe 3-1/4 C. prepared fruit (one 20-ounce can crushed pineapple in syrup)
    3 C. (1-1/4 pounds) sugar
    1 Box Sure-Jel fruit pectin

First, prepare the fruit. Measure contents of one can crushed pineapple. Add enough water to make 3 1/4 cups. Place in 6- or 8-quart saucepan.

Then make the jam. Measure sugar and set aside. Mix fruit pectin into fruit in saucepan. Place over high heat and stir until mixture comes to a full boil. Immediately add all sugar and stir. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam with a metal spoon. Ladle quickly into hot sterilized jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Invert jars for 5 minutes, then turn upright. After 1 hour, check seals.

I am going to hot water bath for 10 minutes, and take no chances on the sealing part.
    momof23goats

Default making jelly from bottled juice.

3 cups pf bottled grape juice
    1 package of pectin
    4 cups of sugar
    combine juice, and pectin in a large pot.
    Bring mixture to a biol, [rolling boil.],
    stir in sugar, return to a boil, boil hard for one minute.
    stirring constantly. remove from heat, take off foam.
    process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.
    makes about 5 half pints.
    tip,
    if you add just a dab of butter, it cuts down on the foam. I also add some lemon juice, helps to make it set.
    that is it. really easy.
    this will also work with frozen juice from the store. Or from the dairy case, in the store.
    momof23goats