Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Month Government Shutdown - How Much?

Default One Month Government Shutdown - How Much?

I looked for this figure in the news and statistics sites but can't find it. Lacking any hard evidence or facts ... I felt I wanted to ask the question without an answer.

If we presume for a moment that the government will not retroactively pay the wages of the non-essential personnel and activities ...

... how much has a one month government shutdown actually SAVED the government?

The presumption is that, since only essential functions are being carried out and only essential staff will be receiving their paychecks ... are we actually being harmed in any way, shape, form, or fashion by a government shutdown?

All government employees were paid for their time during every shutdown that I am aware of.

The question is how much will it cost us?
    "I never let schooling interfere with my education."

It should be noted that a lot of business concerning the government is by private contractor. For instance cleaning the floors and bathrooms in government buildings. Those are the ones who will not get "back pay". Or at least is my understanding.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Many layers to that onion.

With national parks closed, they're not generating revenue, plus there's some vandalism going on which will cost us. Rangers will eventually get backpay too, so triple-negative.

Federal salaries (like any other paycheck) generate tax revenue and stimulate the economy through personal spending (which means tax revenue coming in from vendors/suppliers). So when the federal government pays someone a dollar, a chunk of that dollar comes right back to it.

I remember a college textbook that explained how money is always meant to be spent. If you try to save a dollar by putting it in the bank, the bank will loan it to someone else who will spend it (actually it becomes multiple dollars in loans, but that's the gist).

Let them stay closed! Far less mischief from our betters.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

I do not understand how government people (Our so called public SERVANTS) think they are ENTITLED to their job?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...UM1?li=BBnb7Kz
    more at link

Nine federal departments haven’t received a cent in federal funding in more than a week.

They’ve limped along on leftover money, coasted through the quiet days of the holidays and paid staff with checks already prepped before the lapse.

But all that’s about to end.

Many of the departments and agencies hit by the partial shutdown, which began on Dec. 22, have reached a breaking point in their ability to go on with minimal disruption. They are running out of carryover cash and time to prep checks for the midmonth pay period. In a very visible sign of the growing impact of the shutdown showdown, 19 Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo will close to the public on Wednesday, their temporary funds exhausted.

While paychecks for federal employees went out Friday after a pay period ended on Dec. 22, workers are left wondering whether they will get their next check on Jan. 11. The pay period for that next check ends on Jan. 5. Pay processing varies from agency to agency.

The Office of Management and Budget said in recent guidance that no federal employee — including those still working without pay — can be compensated for the pay period spanning Dec. 23 to Jan. 5 until the shutdown ends.

POTUS intervened to make sure the Coast Guard got paid.
    Pelosi....went on vacation at a $5,000 a night resort in Hawaii.
    Took a while but I found the article:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...rd-in-shutdown
    Trump personally intervened to pay Coast Guard in shutdown
    by Paul Bedard
    December 29, 2018
    We have no rights if we can't defend them.

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

--- Frederic Bastait

Everything I post is Fiction and should not be taken seriously by anyone....

I'm aware that they usually get back pay when the shutdown ends ... but there's probably still a little bit of a savings, isn't there?

Every time I turn on the radio, the Democrat Propaganda Radio (DPR) that is, I hear some new lament about how Trump's unwillingness to compromise is going to mean this or that government function won't happen. This morning it was about how those poor farmers in flyover country aren't going to be able to get their farm loans!

And each time I just laugh and laugh because everything the government can't do right now is something I don't believe they should be doing in the first place. :)

I can go 6 months w/o my social security, longer if I restrain expenditures
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    "You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."
    John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir of Enfield (1875-1940): Author and Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    And each time I just laugh and laugh because everything the government can't do right now is something I don't believe they should be doing in the first place. :)
    Pretty much. We haven't even touched the 75% that they consider "essential" yet.
    The Anarchists are right in everything; in the negation of the existing order, and in the assertion that, without authority, there could not be worse violence than that of authority under existing conditions. [...] But it will be instituted only by there being more and more people who do not require protection from governmental power, and by there being more and more people who will be ashamed of applying this power.

-Tolstoy