Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World War III Warning Thread - Weeks of 1/22/19- 2/5/19

Exclamation World War III Warning Thread - Weeks of 1/22/19- 2/5/19

Revelation 14:7
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    "not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

https://www.france24.com/en/20190122...over-us-troops

In Iraq, political wrangling spawns debate over US troops

Date created : 22/01/2019 - 04:57

Baghdad (AFP)
    From the halls of parliament to the lightning-fast rumour mills of social media, pro-Iran factions are demanding US troops withdraw from Iraq in a challenge to the country's fragile government.

The political wrangling is another indication of Iraq's precarious position as it tries to balance ties between two key allies -- the United States and the Islamic republic of Iran.

Calls for a US pullout have intensified since President Donald Trump's shock decision last month to pull troops from neighbouring Syria, while keeping American forces in Iraq.

In recent weeks, pro-Iran parties have organised protests to demand an accelerated US troop withdrawal while affiliated media outlets published footage of alleged US reinforcements in Iraq's restive west and north.

The debate is heating up in parliament as well.

Last week a lawmaker demanded Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi provide a written explanation for the ongoing US military presence in Iraq and a timeframe for their stay.

MPs are also drafting a law that would set a deadline for a US withdrawal, according to Mahmud al-Rubaie of the Sadiqun bloc, one of the political groups working on the text.

"We categorically reject the presence of foreign troops in Iraq," Rubaie told AFP.
    But rather than a genuine, popularly-driven desire for a US withdrawal, the draft is part of the wider race for influence between Washington and Tehran, analysts said.
    "This talk is part of the power struggle between the US and Iran," said Iraqi security expert Hashem al-Hashemi.

Tensions between the two countries have intensified since the US pulled out of the landmark 2015 nuclear accord negotiated with Iran in May last year, and observers fear they could destabilise Iraq.

- Between Iraq and a hard place -
    American troop numbers in Iraq peaked at some 170,000 during the battle against Al-Qaeda and other insurgents that followed the US-led invasion of 2003.

Trump's predecessor Barack Obama ordered a withdrawal that was completed in 2011, but troops were redeployed in 2014 under a US-led coalition battling the Islamic State group.

In December 2017, Iraq announced it had defeated IS.

Since then the number of foreign coalition troops has dropped from nearly 11,000 in January 2018 to 8,000 by December last year, according to the prime minister.

Coalition spokesman Sean Ryan says there are 5,200 US soldiers now stationed alongside Iraqi forces in various bases across the country.

Their presence angers the Hashed al-Shaabi, a paramilitary force that is dominated by pro-Iran factions which played a key role alongside government forces in the fight against IS.

"The US has banned the Hashed from coming near the military bases where its troops are stationed," said Hashemi.

"So the Hashed is now adopting a reciprocal policy," he said, by pushing for a US withdrawal.

- Weakening Iraq's PM -
    Trump's surprise Christmas visit to troops stationed in western Iraq has added fuel to the fire.

Pro-Iran parties seized on the fact that he did not meet with Iraqi officials to slam the visit as insulting and a violation of Iraq's sovereignty.

Renad Mansour, a researcher at the London-based Chatham House, told AFP the revived debate over US troops was likely a swipe at Abdel Mahdi by hardline pro-Iran factions.

"If Adel Abdel Mahdi fails in removing the US troops, his opponents will of course use it to make him seem weak, just as they used the fact that Trump didn't meet with him when he came," he said.

Iraqis, meanwhile, are more concerned with staggering unemployment, power cuts, and a political crisis that has left key ministries unmanned for months.

Very few showed up Friday at protests in Baghdad demanding an American pull-out, while hundreds turned out for demonstrations in the south of the country to protest a lack of public services.

"If Abdel Mahdi is unable to deliver services or jobs or water, or pick a defence or interior minister, then he has way bigger problems," said Mansour.

"If he succeeds in delivering in services, no one will care about US forces."
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

ELINT News Retweeted

Lucas Tomlinson

Verified account

@LucasFoxNews
    7m7 minutes ago
    More
    BREAKING: U.S. service member killed in Afghanistan: statement; 2nd American KIA in Afghanistan this yearSteve Herman
    ‏Verified account @W7VOA
    10m10 minutes ago

Steve Herman Retweeted TASS

A nuclear-capable bomber of #Russia has crashed while trying to land during a snowstorm. Russian defense ministry quoted saying the plane did not have any weapons on board and only one of the four-man crew has survived.

ELINT News

@ELINTNews
    Follow Follow @ELINTNews
    More
    #BREAKING: Powerful explosions now rocking the Gaza StripMatthew Levitt
    ‏ @Levitt_Matt
    51m51 minutes ago

Lebanon says Israeli 'agent' arrested over anti-Hamas attack
    https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/con...ian-hamas.htmlAurora Intel
    ‏ @AuroraIntel
    15m15 minutes ago

Reports of #IDF helicopters now over west of Khan Younis. #Gaza #Israel

Aurora Intel
    ‏ @AuroraIntel
    4m4 minutes ago

Aurora Intel Retweeted amir bohbot

Political source: Following the recent events in the Gaza Strip and in consultation with security bodies, Prime Minister Netanyahu decided not to allow the transfer of Qatari money tomorrow to the Gaza Strip.

ELINT News

@ELINTNews
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    #UPDATE: Explosions in Gaza caused by mock raids of IAF warplanes, no strikes so far

ELINT News

@ELINTNews
    20m20 minutes ago
    More
    #UPDATE: Israel Iron Dome air defence unit on the move in Beer Sheva today
    Aurora IntelELINT News Retweeted

Instant News Alerts

@InstaNewsAlerts
    6m6 minutes ago
    More
    #BREAKING: Due to possible sniper fire from #Gaza IDF forces have closed off the Hetz Hashachor memorial site (where the anti tank missile bus attack took place 2 months ago). #Israel #Hamas

Aurora Intel
    ‏ @AuroraIntel
    11m11 minutes ago

#Israel #Syria | Syria's UN representative, Bashar al-Jafari, threatened that if the Security Council did not act against Israeli attacks in its country, Syria would have to respond to and attack Ben-Gurion Airport.

ELINT News Retweeted

Amichai Stein

Verified account

@AmichaiStein1
    49m49 minutes ago
    More
    #BREAKING: #Russia called on #Israel to "rule out" the "practice" of carrying out airstrikes in Syrian territories - Russia MFA spokesperson

Marco Rubio

Verified account

@marcorubio
    23m23 minutes ago
    More
    March to restore constitutional order & democracy in #Venezuela set to begin at 10am #Caracas time (9am Eastern in the U.S.).
    Important to know context behind todays events. They are entirely rooted in the constitution of #Venezuela 1/4

ELINT News Retweeted

Steve Herman

Verified account

@W7VOA
    56m56 minutes ago
    More
    We’re expecting a statement from @POTUS soon (who is right now in Oval Office) on #Venezuela and it is expected he might recognize opposition leader @jguaido as the South American country’s legitimate leader. – at The White HouseELINT News Retweeted

Lee Saks

@Lee_Saks
    9m9 minutes ago
    More
    TRUMP ADMINISTRATION TELLS US ENERGY COMPANIES IT COULD IMPOSE #VENEZUELA OIL SANCTIONS AS SOON AS THIS WEEK IF POLITICAL SITUATION THERE DETERIORATES FURTHER -SOURCES: RTRS. #OOTT