Thread: A real world indicator of the state of the economy

Default A real world indicator of the state of the economy

My phone got dunked, so it was off to Wal-Mart to buy a basic $50 LG model. I couldn't finish the activation on the US Cellular website, so I made the short drive to the local US Cell store. Every phone, tablet and smart watch in the place came with a monthly payment figure instead of a straight-up price. My $50 phone was listed at $5/month, or $150 over time. Is the general public that broke? Some of this can be attributed to economic illiteracy, but much of what was on display shows just how cash poor many people are in an allegedly "strong economy".

It’s a indication of economic illiteracy! People live in the moment and don’t understand the true costs. If the sum of the monthly payments equal less than the paycheck their good! Terms? who cares about terms, I deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by moestooge View Post
    My phone got dunked, so it was off to Wal-Mart to buy a basic $50 LG model. I couldn't finish the activation on the US Cellular website, so I made the short drive to the local US Cell store. Every phone, tablet and smart watch in the place came with a monthly payment figure instead of a straight-up price. My $50 phone was listed at $5/month, or $150 over time. Is the general public that broke? Some of this can be attributed to economic illiteracy, but much of what was on display shows just how cash poor many people are in an allegedly "strong economy".

Maybe if they post the actual price no one will buy. For example, the latest new i-Phone is $1000 I think it is, which has caused Apple's stock price to crash recently.

Leftism Is a Religion Without The Ability To Forgive

Quote Originally Posted by Tollwatch View Post
    It’s a indication of economic illiteracy! People live in the moment and don’t understand the true costs. If the sum of the monthly payments equal less than the paycheck their good! Terms? who cares about terms, I deserve it
    That's more like it. Drives me nuts as my wife always has to get a new phone when her contract is up. I still run my $ 100 dollar Wal-Mart Apple SE and the 44 dollar a month all in ATT prepaid......... I think her monthly rent is more than my whole bill.

Guess what, my SE does everything her fancy one does.......

Trying to make sense of the economy from what you see at Walmart is akin to looking around the bar and assuming everyone in the city is a drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    Trying to make sense of the economy from what you see at Walmart is akin to looking around the bar and assuming everyone in the city is a drunk.
    You mean they aren't?