Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump to address nation tomorrow about border

If this is such an "emergency" why were Republicans sitting on their butts the last two years when they controlled the House?

Seems like they considered revoking Obamacare and giving the rich a tax break more of an "emergency"

solderguy, is that a rhetorical question?

Pubs real constituency doesn't want to stop flow of cheap labor.

Something about this wall thing confuses me.
    Of course, many things confuse me.

If the border is almost 2000 miles and this fence is only 247 miles, how effective can it be?

Does only 1/8th of the border need secured?
    Have we secured the other 7/8ths?
    How?

If we have protected 7/8ths of our border, why don't we use the same method to protect the 247 miles?
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    That's the worst possible thing that could happen.

You do realize there will be a Democratic president again eventually, right?

Yes. I realize that. Better now than later to get some of these loopholes closed, which I'm sure would happen if he does this. Will go through the courts, spur legislation, etc.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    If the border is almost 2000 miles and this fence is only 247 miles, how effective can it be?
    Does only 1/8th of the border need secured?
    Easy-peasy, you put up 100 ft of fence, leave 700 ft open, then put up another 100 ft. That way the fence stretches across the whole border.

If you've ever spent time down there along the border, there's vast areas where there's a natural obstacle to crossing on foot.

Some of it is terrain that would starve a goat out.

Another reason I think a fence is a bad idea. Let's say you put up a steel barrier out there. How long until methheads drive out there, cut it apart, and sell it for scrap?

You can spend all day with a broom chasing bluejays off your porch, or you can take down the bird feeder.

Never been there, Miradus.

The problem is that there are too many bluejay lovers.
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

With illegal immigration at a fraction of what it was 20 years ago it's difficult to see where there is an emergency. Most are cases where they overstay their visas, not sneak across.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    With illegal immigration at a fraction of what it was 20 years ago it's difficult to see where there is an emergency. Most are cases where they overstay their visas, not sneak across.
    Those who have had loved ones murdered and others who have been victims of violent crimes committed by illegal aliens would disagree with you about whether or not it is an emergency. It's good to have a President who recognizes an emergency when he sees it.
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Is it really a fraction of what it was 20 years ago? Can you supply a source for that?

When I was a child, there were a lot of Mexicans who came across the border to work. But they didn't want to stay. They worked, they went home with the money. Two months of calving season in Texas would pay for ten months of living back home. There was no hostility between them and the ranchers I grew up with.

Of course that was more like 40 years ago, not 20.

deleted