Thread: Understanding Scripture

Default Understanding Scripture

I was thinking about and also being tempted at the moment. Popping into my head was the scripture that tells us no temptation that has overtaken you except what is common to man. So I looked up the scripture. Here is the rest of it, which I hadn't remembered; God is faithful and you won't be tempted beyond your ability to resist (and further) He will give you a way out of it so you can endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13) Then I recalled Paul telling us in Romans that we do what we shouldn't and not do what we should and how miserable we are as a result and who can save us from this? Jesus!! Romans 7:15-20 This brings me to the point of this post.

Most of us read scripture...a lot. But do we always understand it? Or the context of it? Sometimes I think not. I have always believed that scripture gives us everything that we need...in fact it says so in 2 Timothy 3:16. But just as important, maybe, is that the Holy Spirit tells us what we need to know exactly when we need to know it because we are believers and have read, but maybe didn't absorb or understand, but now is the moment. In other words we've read and noted and remembered scripture, but at times, all of a sudden, when we need it the most, it gives us clarity about a thing just when we need it. And that clarity may come after we have, in my case today, many years of being confronted with temptations that I succumbed to...but maybe not any more because NOW is the moment that God provided to me in His wisdom that I needed to know this.

for me and I want to let all know this is for me, but it works, maybe it will work for you........If I have a question about scripture I really need to understand, I first fast, ( fasting has it's reason), then i get rid of all the things that could distract me, such as back ground television, kids fighting upstairs, even outside surface noise.............fasting helps me mentally as my body is not busy with digestion and it's function.................then I pray hard to the creator God our father for discernment and understand, before I even pick up the book..............mostly I ready myself for the answer, most times people will reject the answer given to them from reading the book because it threatens their comfort bubble, and usually requires work and effort such as giving up smoking or cussing, whatever the reason is when the holy spirit speaks to you, it will usually be the answer you was not seeking..............
    walking the narrow path shows God you are trying, walking the narrow gives you strength, and his reward is further knowledge.............why would God give you knowledge if you have not earned it, showing God that you work hard to be found worthy, is graced with more knowledge......
    I have also found each scripture and the answer supplied, will not be the same for everybody, that could be why the good book is also called the book of mystery's .......this could be the reason the one scripture tells us to study the bible each days, such discipline helps to combat sin...it gives you strength and courage to stand up for what is right and good.....................this is just my opinon but it has worked for me.............with wisdom comes much grief ..........."currahee"

Seeking Truth, using Father’s prescribed tools, does not lead to confusion.

The more you seek, the more you find, and the more you are thereafter responsible for........

Sam, my post was not about confusion. I have said many time that the Bible is not supposed to be a puzzle. It was about how parts of scripture we've read and pondered sometimes become absolutely crystal clear just when they need to be crystal clear and applicable to a particular difficult situation that is happening at the time.

Understood.

My post was intended pretty much to be in agreement with yours.

Just came to me that Satan is the author of confusion, so I threw that in there.

Father must be the author of clarity ?