Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The decline of the US Navy

Quote Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
    Retired military friends tell me stories of how our political class has turned the military into a glorified social welfare experiment.
    The military has been the biggest social welfare provider every since the 1950s. Nothing new about that.

Navy dive school class had to be cancelled for the day because female Ensign forgot to wear sports bra. She was given a verbal warning, but protocol determined she could not partake in the exercise with a regular bra or no bra. So she would not fall behind the rest of the class they just took the day off. Can't make this stuff up.

My grandson is in the Air Force. He works in a hydraulics shop near the flight line. I was relating some of my experiences with years of hydraulic system misadventures, namely getting sprayed with hot hydraulic fluid and having to tough out the rest of the day. He just commented, "when that happens to us the boss just sends us home to shower and put on a clean uniform."
    Last edited by pc-not; 02-14-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: sp

I was on a DOD base, it was over 50% civies
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

I've been believing for he last two decades, once Russia/China pull the trigger..

US military will fall like domino's and Americans will be stunned on how quickly it falls..

Sorry if I keep ranting, but this is a very serious issue that I see as another sign of our culture/civilization in deep trouble. When I was on active duty 50 years ago, things in the military were mostly based on merit. If you did a good job you were rewarded, no matter what your background was. It was not perfect, but comradery and patriotism were paramount. It was a lot leaner and meaner.

I can't speak for all branches, but after living for 35 years in a very strong Air Force and Navy community with a huge percentage of retired military, I have witnessed shocking changes to this fact. The military industrial complex that Eisenhauer alluded to has added another component. Now the behemoth includes a heathy dose of social welfare as its mission. Not specifically stated, but a reality just the same. I work in the homes of many retired military people, many of whom worked for defense contractors or were civil service employees after retirement. The stories I have heard are many and not good. What you see in the streets with all of the "minority protesting, civil disobedience", exi9sts there too, just at a muted level. The political class has forced the military to absorb many who are neither patriots or team players. Disrespect and slothfulness abounds because so many military installations have outsourced many of the jobs formerly done by active duty people to civilian staff, many whom are the antithesis of what you want. Daycare facilities for the out of wedlock children of "people of color" working the jobs is prevalent. Six civilians doing the job that two active duty military used to do is not uncommon. Attitude is the main factor. They have zero respect and resent the fact that you once served honorably. There are exceptions, but believe me, the culture on the major base I speak of is real.