Thread: Rusty Tools

Default Rusty Tools

Because of limited space in the house, we kept all of our tools outside in a shed. Most fared well except for the box filled with rusty drill bits, paddle bits & other small tools. They have a good coating of rust on them but not bad enough to toss them. Is there an easy way to clean these up?
    Don't grow up. It's a trap.

soak in coca cola or vinegar
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

white or cider?

Quote Originally Posted by zazzu View Post
    white or cider?
    hite is cheaper
    w
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Thank you very much :)

I tune my raw steel tools in used motor oil when they take on a little surface rust.
    Tools that really need cleaned up soak for a few weeks in a half and half used oil/diesel fuel blend, then get the wire brush.

If you don't like the stink of Vinegar, you can use full strength green antifreeze, just immerse them and leave for a couple of days.

Thanks for the replies. I already have them soaking in vinegar on the back patio. I'll check them later today.

Wanted to let you know the drill bits turned out fantastic. After they were cleaned and dried I rubbed a bit of sewing machine oil on them. They are now being kept in a tool chest inside the house.