Thread: Grits Cakes?

Default Grits Cakes?

After several years of hash brown potatoes on Sunday morning, today I got a hankering for grits - but grits cooked pancake style.

I tried cooking grits in the skillet with their water, adding some cheese (as I do w/ my hash browns), and cooking into a small patty. But alas, it never hardened sufficiently for what I had in mind. I think it may need some binder of some kind.

I really don't want to have to cook up a pot of grits, and then put them in a skillet - I'd prefer for this to be a one-pan process.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    PB
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11

make your grits and pour into glass, place in frig for a bit, pull glass out of frig and remove core, it should slid right out of glass and the cylinder of grits, then you slice grits into paddies that you want to use then place remainder in frig for tomorrow, and cook like pancakes, excellent with butter and toppings

Hummm, interesting idea, always learning. Thanks for that!
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11

I usually make the "Old Fashioned" Grits, and if I have some left over I set it to the side. The next day its solid and I fry it in butter. I imagine you'd just pour the grits into a mold of some sort and leave it over night.