Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time to let Classical Music Die.

Default It's time to let Classical Music Die.

https://nmbx.newmusicusa.org/its-tim...cal-music-die/

I like both kinds, Country and Western! I suppose the author would like the natives to be banging on drums in the jungle...
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

I am so sick of this race-based dialogue in nearly everything in society! Classical music is timeless. This jackass has his (her) nose out of joint because classical music, for the most part, is Euro-centric and therefore, written by people of the Caucasian persuasion. I understand, like a nose, everyone has an opinion but HOW in the name of all that's good can one seek to end Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn ( to name a just a few) And, where. by the way, are the Beethovens, Haydns and Mozarts?African.

That is all. Thanks for allowing me to rant!

Gabe

We have so much great music to be thankful for from musicians of African descent.

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

https://disqus.com/by/PierreBezukhov1812/

If we have to purity test every form of expression to determine if the creators were assholes, we'll be left sitting in a cave, banging rocks together.

Let me be clear...Blues, Jazz, hardly Classical in the strictest sense of the word. No African contemporaries of Haydn and Beethoven. No great symphonies, opera, piano concertos...get what I'm, saying here?

__Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Let me be clear...Blues, Jazz, hardly Classical in the strictest sense of the word. No African contemporaries of Haydn and Beethoven. No great symphonies, opera, piano concertos...get what I'm, saying here?

__Gabe
    It took just as much talent for John Coltrane to create "Giant Steps" as it took Haydn to compose his "Trumpet Concerto in E flat major"

The most feared song in jazz, explained
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tIvfP9A2w

Trumpet Concerto in E flat major
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-akM1WpNs

ETA: I love both Classical and Jazz. Anyways FWIW:

Miles Davis is not Mozart: The brains of jazz and classical pianists work differently
    https://www.cbs.mpg.de/brains-of-jaz...rk-differently

Enjoy:

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

I have obviously NOT been clear enough for you...I am NOT referring to talent. I am speaking about the vast difference between Coltrane's jazz and Haydn's symphonies. The ORIGINAL point and post was about classical music. I don't see where Coltrane, Davis, or for THAT matter, any other human being other than a white European male has written a CLASSICAL music as it is strictly defined.

--Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    I have obviously NOT been clear enough for you...I am NOT referring to talent. I am speaking about the vast difference between Coltrane's jazz and Haydn's symphonies. The ORIGINAL point and post was about classical music. I don't see where Coltrane, Davis, or for THAT matter, any other human being other than a white European male has written a CLASSICAL music as it is strictly defined.

--Gabe
    I owe you an apology. Yes, there is a vast difference between Jazz and Classical, and no, I can't think of any Classical composers of African heritage, certainly none contemporaneous with Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, et al. (Africans in the West were too busy singing Gospels while chopping cotton during that era, I suppose).

Truth is I was a little put off by the article Huk posted, and my first contribution to this thread was a rebuttal to it. He wrote:

And that led me to my second article, “Escaping the Mold of Oriental Fantasy“–a personal history of isolation and colonization, of how Western classical music participates in the act of destroying culture and replaces it with its own white supremacist narrative.
    IMHO the Jazz and Blues of the 20th century is also a product of our Western culture.

The author was lamenting the plight of POC in the Classical world, due to that genre's "Whiteness". Next we'll be treated to an article by a professional athlete decrying the unfortunate fate of POC who play for the NHL.

Gandalf the Grey

My Disqus channel:

Quote Originally Posted by Bezukhov View Post
    The most feared song in jazz, explained
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tIvfP9A2w
    That was really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezukhov View Post
    I owe you an apology. Yes, there is a vast difference between Jazz and Classical, and no, I can't think of any Classical composers of African heritage, certainly none contemporaneous with Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, et al. (Africans in the West were too busy singing Gospels while chopping cotton during that era, I suppose).

Truth is I was a little put off by the article Huk posted, and my first contribution to this thread was a rebuttal to it. He wrote:

IMHO the Jazz and Blues of the 20th century is also a product of our Western culture.

The author was lamenting the plight of POC in the Classical world, due to that genre's "Whiteness". Next we'll be treated to an article by a professional athlete decrying the unfortunate fate of POC who play for the NHL.
    No apology necessary, Bez.