Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Thank You Notes/Emails

Default Question about Thank You Notes/Emails

When my son was a child, every year on his birthday my spouse's elderly great aunt [who I had never met] sent my son a birthday card with three dollars. I always immediately wrote her back thanking her for the kind gift.

Do young people send thank you notes/emails... or is that courtesy now archaic ?

When I routinely send gifts to out-of-state relatives, I never even know if they were received [unless a check is cashed.]

If I send a gift via Amazon along with an email asking the person to let me know to verify it was received... I still don't get a response unless I send a follow-up email weeks later.

How would you handle this kind of situation ??

Essentially, if someone can't be bothered to acknowledge a gift (much less express appreciation for it), it will be the last gift we send.

I don't care HOW they respond... e-mail, snail mail, phone call or even a text, but at least a brief thank you is still required in my sense of propriety.

I will say that we *don't* send Christmas or birthday cards... so those who do so routinely may well consider us some of the lazy ungratefuls!

But seriously, if someone takes the time to send you a gift, not acknowledging it in some way is just rude.

Summerthyme

I think that is a lost art. I know, I do not write letters BUT I do call and say Thank You like that.I make sure that Jr always says Thank You to those he receives from, as well (we do not receive anything in the mail like that, except what me or his mom order, so......)

Ferris
    VAXXED from cover up to catastrophe

CDC lied and more kids died

Why lie? I AM a thread killer.

Sun Tzu must have seen babs coming when he put this down in writing: In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemies country WHOLE and INTACT. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment or a company than to destroy them...

I give gifts to those I want to, because I want to. I don't expect, and rarely receive thanks.
    Often the recipient is in need, and it is my pleasure to help.
    It was what I wanted. I am the beneficiary.
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post

Essentially, if someone can't be bothered to acknowledge a gift (much less express appreciation for it), it will be the last gift we send.

I don't care HOW they respond... e-mail, snail mail, phone call or even a text, but at least a brief thank you is still required in my sense of propriety.

I will say that we *don't* send Christmas or birthday cards... so those who do so routinely may well consider us some of the lazy ungratefuls!

But seriously, if someone takes the time to send you a gift, not acknowledging it in some way is just rude.

Summerthyme

I have already written off a non-responding adult nephew from my gift list.

I still send gifts to several minor children. But apparently none of them are being taught to acknowledge gifts because their parents don't.

One of those non-responding parents is my niece and sole heir [my only child died young.]

I might have to rethink my will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post

I think that is a lost art. I know, I do not write letters BUT I do call and say Thank You like that. I make sure that Jr always says Thank You to those he receives from, as well (we do not receive anything in the mail like that, except what me or his mom order, so......)

Ferris

You are greatly benefiting your son by raising him to be thankful and polite.

Your gift of good manners will help him be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by merovingian View Post

I give gifts to those I want to, because I want to. I don't expect, and rarely receive thanks.
    Often the recipient is in need, and it is my pleasure to help.
    It was what I wanted. I am the beneficiary.

I do understand that concept and I have given anonymous gifts to needy strangers.

But sending gifts to family members is different. I do expect a polite response or at least an acknowledgment the gift was received [other than a canceled check !]

It's another sign of how our culture has deteriorated. As a child, I was required to write thank you notes to out of town relatives that were actually newsy letters. We have young relatives today that are pretty good kids (teenagers), but seldom respond to our gifts. We, in turn, stop giving. A related observation. With all of the broken and patched up families, multiple celebrations with presents become the norm. Our granddaughter has three birthday parties because the parents and some grandparents are divorced and won't celebrate her birthday as one unit. Ridiculous. As I write this, today her dad does not get to be with her since she is attending her second birthday party of a friend. It just devalues the whole purpose of a special occasion. I've observed that the kids get so much that they even seemed bored with the whole process.

At the other end of the spectrum we often get a thank you note acknowledging our thank you note! A sweet old lady whom brightens everyone's day.

Laura19 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

It is interesting that some of us were made by our parents to write a thank you note. When my kids were little (they are in their 30's now), I did the same. I don't know how that fell by the wayside. I do get thank you's via texts and emails today, but if you are not getting a thank you today, I wouldn't send anymore. Anonymous gifts to needy strangers is always a great way to go!

Kings X, I am very sorry to hear about your only child dying. Do you care to share about that?

THE END ISN'T NEAR.........IT'S HERE

The problem is not global warming – it is moral cooling.