Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I just happened to be in Portland today

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
    Who are you to judge others? Are you the one that hires? You are not God either.
    As a human being I have every right to judge others. I might not be God but neither are you. Go back to Share Blue

Ya long haired Canadian freak
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

What was the name of the Farm, where is it located?
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    That's fine.

I expect my banker to look a specific way, and different from the kid who sells me fishing lures.

A lot of those things start out as cultural "I'm not in the system" flags. When I had long hair it was because I was outside of the system. I looked non-hirable because I wanted to look like I wasn't anyone's hire.

But the more and more people who do it the more mainstream those flags become and so that fringe edge is always looking for something a little weirder.

If you're judging people's work ethic or intelligence based on those cultural looks then you're probably the stupid one. I've been around in a lot of industries and I've seen some HIGHLY competent people who looked like they just rolled out of a hippy van on a beach somewhere.

When I lived in Austin during the dot-com boom, one of the things that was so very noticeable was how WELL all the salesman treated you. Normally if you don't look like money and you walk into a furniture store, you're not going to get the best attention from the sales staff. But during the dot-com boom ... ANYONE could be a millionaire so the stores all put their best foot forward. That kid in the tank-top, cut-offs, and flip-flops might just be the multi-millionaire on the cover of Forbes last week and willing to drop $30k on patio furniture on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

ETA:

The inverse is probably true too though. If you show up at a job interview in an industry which doesn't tolerate that look ... and you look like that .... you'd better damned well be as good as you claim you are.
    I had to hire straight looking joes, or I was outa customers!

Quote Originally Posted by OLD FARMER View Post
    I had to hire straight looking joes, or I was outa customers!
    Dress for success. Same applies to piercings, neck and face tattoos, etc.
    Imagine getting on a jetliner, and your captain was standing by the door to greet you. His neck and face were all inked up.. Had pierced ears and lips... How do you feel?
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

Quote Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
    Dress for success. Same applies to piercings, neck and face tattoos, etc.
    Imagine getting on a jetliner, and your captain was standing by the door to greet you. His neck and face were all inked up.. Had pierced ears and lips... How do you feel?
    Do you apply that same standard to the loader at Home Depot? Or the dockworker?

If my captain of a jetliner looked like that, my first thought might be, "Whose life did HE save that they let him look like that?"

I seriously just don't care about what people look like these days. Our pediatrician has a nose ring. She's also a devout Christian who goes along with our weird "we're not giving you any info that might get reported to the government" demands when we see a doctor. She doesn't force medical opinions on us ... she treats us as equals in the process and knows that we make the final decision. And though she's a pediatrician, my wife and I have been seeing her for adult medical procedures as well. Because finding a doctor you trust is more important than worrying about a tattoo or a nose ring.

If you're an employer like Old Farmer and you've got customers who care about that ... then of course you've got to hire accordingly. But that doesn't require looking down on those who have decided to have a little more adventure with body art than our own generation approved of. Live and let live, I say. They aren't asking YOU to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    I went to a big box store east of Portland today, the cashier had multi-colored hair and piercings, in her nose, spools in her ears and tats. Who hires these PPL? Outside a metro bus went past, a passenger had the brightest yellow hair I've ever seen, I'm sure it would be visible from space!
    That doesn't bother me, but I can't help having a silent laugh when I see a young woman looking like that and imagining what she'll look like when she isn't pushing 50, but dragging it.

Here are some more people in Portland.

Portland Police: 'We Wish There Were Some Kind Of Organized, Armed Force That Could Fight Back Against Antifa'
    Satire

https://babylonbee.com/news/portland...against-antifa
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

https://disqus.com/by/PierreBezukhov1812/

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    Do you apply that same standard to the loader at Home Depot? Or the dockworker?

If my captain of a jetliner looked like that, my first thought might be, "Whose life did HE save that they let him look like that?"

I seriously just don't care about what people look like these days. Our pediatrician has a nose ring. She's also a devout Christian who goes along with our weird "we're not giving you any info that might get reported to the government" demands when we see a doctor. She doesn't force medical opinions on us ... she treats us as equals in the process and knows that we make the final decision. And though she's a pediatrician, my wife and I have been seeing her for adult medical procedures as well. Because finding a doctor you trust is more important than worrying about a tattoo or a nose ring.

If you're an employer like Old Farmer and you've got customers who care about that ... then of course you've got to hire accordingly. But that doesn't require looking down on those who have decided to have a little more adventure with body art than our own generation approved of. Live and let live, I say. They aren't asking YOU to pay for it.
    Face it you'd be freaked.
    When I show up for the job my employer expects a professional. Someone who is impeccable, both in appearance and performance. There is no room for dirty self indulgent tools. They would never get hired in the first place. Facts are facts.
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

Portland Desperate as City Becomes Dangerous, Dirty Homeless Camp

Residents call for action

Just another Democratic dungeon

In my area the economy is booming. Almost every brick and mortar business has help wanted signs out front. Lumberyard where I do business (not a big box) interviewed a young guy all tatted up, pierced and sloppy looking. Owner told him if he wasn't desperate for labor he never would have hired him. Told him he had the job, but he needed to clean up. Only lasted 2 weeks. Party culture was first priority in his life according to co workers. So many losers that don't get it.