Thread: Pan Fried Potatoes, Carrots & Onion

Default Pan Fried Potatoes, Carrots & Onion

My mom used to make this when I was growing up and it's still one of my favorites. It's easy, yummy and you can make as little or as much as you like at a time and vary the recipe to suit your taste [just be sure to adjust measurements and cooking time accordingly.] Adding carrots to pan fried potatoes gives the dish a sweeter taste [and extra vitamin A !]

Since I cook for one I use a small non-stick frying pan with lid, one medium russet potato, one medium carrot, a teaspoon or more of dehydrated chopped or minced onion pieces [or you can use fresh onion], salt, pepper and about two tablespoons of olive oil.

Slice potato and carrot into slices [the thinner the slices the less cooking time, but not too thin or they will overcook]

Add oilve oil to frying pan, put on medium heat. Add potato & carrot slices, onions, salt and pepper [to taste] and fry for several minutes turning over potato and carrot slices once or twice to cook evenly. Then add a small amount of water, cover pan with lid and steam several more minutes [or until potato and carrot slices are cooked & tender] turning over potato and carrot slices a couple of times to cook evenly.

You can serve the veggie mixture over bread. But I prefer to put it in a flour tortilla to make a yummy veggie burrito.

Covered leftovers can be kept in the cold part of refrigerator a couple of days. It's just as yummy and much easier the second time around... just reheat !

Speaking of flour tortillas... one of my favorite super quick meals is a pepper jack cheese quesadilla.

One flour tortilla folded into a half moon shape. Put a layer of sliced pepper jack cheese in the middle of one inner side of the half moon [stay away from edges the heated cheese will expand.]

Heat the folded half-moon tortilla with cheese inside in non-stick frying pan on medium to low heat several minutes... flipping it over a few times [I just use my fingers to flip it]... until the cheese melts. You have to keep your eye on it or it might scorch too much or burn. I prefer mine a little underdone.

Of course, one can put previously cooked meat and/or veggies in addition to cheese in a quesadilla... but that gets more complicated.

Last edited by KingsX; 09-27-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Today for a quick, easy, yummy lunch, I pan fried a small sweet potato with olive oil, salt, pepper and a few minced dehydrated onions and wrapped the mix in a flour tortilla for a different type of veggie burrito [no need to preheat the flour tortilla, the mix hot from the pan warms it up.] I peel, cut up and pan fry the sweet potato much the same way as I do a russet potato and carrots... but no carrots needed. Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and also have lots of vitamin A.

Can I come over for lunch?
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

It's a cold and rainy day... just perfect for this yummy warm quick and easy snack... and a good way to use up tortilla chips that may be getting a little stale.

On a cookie sheet evenly place a single layer of plain corn tortilla chips [I prefer plain ROUND white corn chips. Aldi sells a large bag for less than a dollar.]

Place thinly sliced cheese in the center of each tortilla chip [I prefer to use Pepper Jack cheese for the best taste and a little kick because I live in Texas !]

Place the cookie sheet in oven under BROIL [heat from above] about 400-450 degrees.

Stand at oven and WATCH CLOSELY because it only takes a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt and bubble and the chips to start to brown on the edges... when that begins to happen remove promptly from oven... and after a minute or so of cooling down a bit, they are ready to eat !

Hot Water, Desperation Pie (vid) "Prepare to beat your butter!"
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."