Thread: Any advice on economical living spaces

Post Any advice on economical living spaces

Hey folks, I have a particular question about economical living spaces.

Im considering building a shed up to a tiny home to live in, for economic reasons.

I know that there are building codes to adhere to and such per each state (GA), but would like any ideas/suggestions on how to go about this.

Our fincancial situation is not great but we were wanting to plan a strategy to use any incoming funds to build something on a piece of property, that we can live in for now.

We can run an extension cord to the living quarter from utilities already on the property.
    Also, we could get away with a composting toilet or lug-a-loo if need be.
    I would probably build a shower either indoors or out, depending on available resources. (onsite well)

thanks for any advice or help you can give.
    Last edited by Rob_0126; 03-21-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: add
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

What do you consider to be "economical" Rob?

Tiny houses https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=Tiny+houses seem to be growing in popularity.

Have you considered a pull behind camper? A small motor home? A slide in truck camper?

A prefab or build on site utility shed?

And then we have straw bale houses https://www.google.com/search?client...71.XDtj0XPqy4Y.

Lots of options depending on one's definition of "economical".

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    What do you consider to be "economical" Rob?

Tiny houses https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=Tiny+houses seem to be growing in popularity.

Have you considered a pull behind camper? A small motor home? A slide in truck camper?

A prefab or build on site utility shed?

And then we have straw bale houses https://www.google.com/search?client...71.XDtj0XPqy4Y.

Lots of options depending on one's definition of "economical".

O.W.
    Not sure what size space of a utility shed would work as a living space.

I want to have a shed that I can build up into a living space.

Im watching videos of how to make sheds and also how to setup on inside, but for me to DIY.

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

It really depends on how many people will live there. A family friend once bought a 12X24 wooden shed, the kind you buy at one of those rent to own places; or maybe from lowes or home despot. He bout his used for a few hundred dollars and had a man with a roll-off truck deliver it. He then installed a simple shower stall, a counter top and a hot plate. He moved into it. Not a big deal for a single man.

I am a Carpenter by trade and I routinely built 24x36 homes with a half loft for about 14k in labor and 14k in materials dried in. I have also built a 16x24 that a couple moved into. It was not much cheaper than the 24x36..

Quote Originally Posted by Ruik View Post
    It really depends on how many people will live there. A family friend once bought a 12X24 wooden shed, the kind you buy at one of those rent to own places; or maybe from lowes or home despot. He bout his used for a few hundred dollars and had a man with a roll-off truck deliver it. He then installed a simple shower stall, a counter top and a hot plate. He moved into it. Not a big deal for a single man.

I am a Carpenter by trade and I routinely built 24x36 homes with a half loft for about 14k in labor and 14k in materials dried in. I have also built a 16x24 that a couple moved into. It was not much cheaper than the 24x36..
    Just 2 people. I've done multiple layouts and it seems a 14-16 wide is needed for the room partitioning and walk space.
    We could get away with a 10x12, but not much would be in it but the bed.

A 16x20 to 16x24 would probably be plenty for us.

It's the building codes that are a hinderance, when your broke.

I am in the county in Tennessee, the only inspections are for septic and electricity. However I am in the woods and I have built whatever I pleased. I installed my septic and field lines without a perk test and as a former electrician I wired my house to code. I moved in and the neighbours called the county over me not having a company put in the septic. I don't know how they knew, I didn't tell anyone. The county sent a letter to the person who collects my mail. I told him to call them and say they were just trying to use the county to harass me; the county said don't worry about it we understand. LOL

I've been here quite a while now, and the neighbours have since all changed. All they can do when push comes to shove is put a lien on your land. Be free.

Also I've built houses in Georgia, if thats where you are. Some places have inspectors others don't. I've built an off grid house outside of Lafayette. And two houses north of there a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruik View Post
    I am in the county in Tennessee, the only inspections are for septic and electricity. However I am in the woods and I have built whatever I pleased. I installed my septic and field lines without a perk test and as a former electrician I wired my house to code. I moved in and the neighbours called the county over me not having a company put in the septic. I don't know how they knew, I didn't tell anyone. The county sent a letter to the person who collects my mail. I told him to call them and say they were just trying to use the county to harass me; the county said don't worry about it we understand. LOL

I've been here quite a while now, and the neighbours have since all changed. All they can do when push comes to shove is put a lien on your land. Be free.

Also I've built houses in Georgia, if thats where you are. Some places have inspectors others don't. I've built an off grid house outside of Lafayette. And two houses north of there a bit.
    I suppose I should check with the local code office for the county to see if their are any gotchas.

Are there any subdivisions in your area where new homes are being built? If there are, and you have a truck and trailer, try going and talk to the builders about salvage. Do not just drive up and take it, ask first. If the builder says ok, you can gather a large amount of material for construction. At least 2X4,2X6,2X8 and 2X10. I work currently as a door installer/weather stripper, I have salvaged enough insulated, metal clad 3 X 8 doors to use for siding material on a shed I plan to build. This will save a ton of money on siding and insulation. Where the bores and joints will be I will use some flat flashing, silicone caulk and screws to stitch/water proof the walls. The caulk I have salvaged when the roofers leave unused tubes on job sites. My plan is to build a roughly 18' X 18' shed. I may gather more doors and use them as roof decking as well, since they are 1 3/4" thick, should be sturdy enough.

Many ways to stretch your budget, heck I have found entire rolls of the Pex water piping, entire joints of the metal pipe used to bring gas to the house, smaller pieces in 6' and 8' lengths, useful for fencing and gates. Just do not take without permission, that can get you into trouble.

Oh, and if you do not have atruck/trailer, might be able to rent at a lowe's/home depot.
    Last edited by Remember_The_Alamo; 05-22-2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Additional thought