Thread: Memorial Day traditions

Question Memorial Day traditions

What does your family or town do? What do you remember from the past?

Here in my little corner of Florida, Memorial Day hasn't been the big deal holiday. Most of the fuss seems to go to July 4th.

But back home in Ohio, Memorial Day was IT. Our little town had a parade, with the local school marching band, sherriff's posse, and all the rest. A few times I was even in it. Guns fired in salute, speeches, the works. One thing I particularly remember was the Roll Call. All the veterans buried in local cemeteries, by war and which cemetery. There was a monument in the center of town with the oldest names, but it didn't have room for the newer ones. And this was in the 60's/70's. This was all done during the day. I don't remember any fireworks.

We got together with other family for supper, weather permitting. I don't remember going around to the family graves, but my parents and grandparents may well have done so, perhaps another day.
    Make America WELL Again !
    Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
    washed off the next tide.

They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

He's gone, who cares?
    I was thinking about ordinary Americans.
    Make America WELL Again !
    Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
    washed off the next tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    He's gone, who cares?
    I was thinking about ordinary Americans.
    He's not an American but he's far from gone
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."