Thread: A Warning to Gardeners about Cow Manure

Exclamation A Warning to Gardeners about Cow Manure

Brother Danny on Deepsouth Homestead found out something disturbing about the hay he buys for his cows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcSdF17Mnjg

There is an herbicide called 'grazon' that is sprayed on the grass of most hay bales.

Apparently, it is causing serious growth problems with plants, when the manure from the cow that eats the grazon laced hay, is used in a compost for plants.

If that wasn't bad enough, it stays in the cow manure for about 18 months. So if you made compost with it, you would have to wait 18 months for the grazon to deteriorate enough to use it on your plants. (What is it doing to the cow?)

So gardeners who use cow manure by cows that have eaten grazon laced hay, might have problems growing food.

Brother Danny has narrowed it down to that herbicide in his hay bales, and had to source them from another baler.

It has been the main cause of the problems with growing the plants he used the compost on.

I hope this helps any farmers and gardeners.

We all need as much ability to grow food, now more than ever.
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

It is very common for horses to be fed hay treated with Grazon
    Picloram is another one as well

So it is not just cows but horse manure is more likely than cow manure

It is a very persistent herbicide that, from what I have been told, be composted out

It takes several years for it to dissipate
    The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but the newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Good compost ought to have had 18 months to break down, anyway.

Not to pour hot compost on an otherwise valid corcern.....

Use that cow manure for its bacteria content, and source the bulk of your composting material will more benign carbons and grass clippings for nitro.

For the seriously intentioned composted, get a copy of Joseph Jenkins’ “The Humanure Handbook”.

Incredibly well researched and written composting manual, right there.....addresses the issue of toxins, very well.

Good info, both of you.

I believe brother Danny probably uses his compost expedited; quite possibly because of the situation in the country.

I personally believe homesteaders are way ahead of most americans when it comes to preparedness.

Even though I'm trying to learn something new everyday, I'm no where near where I think we should be.
    God will either work a fantastic miracle or we will be heading home sooner than we thought.

Either way, His will be done.
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."