Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pie Fillings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pie Fillings

Does anyone have any good pie filling recipes for freezing or canning?

I have a bunch of them! Any ones you would like first? lol!

She

I'll take the peach one!!!! Me first, me first!!!! LOL!
    Old enough to remember

Default Peach Pie Filling for canning

Peach pie filling to can

6 quarts fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
    7 cups sugar
    2 C. + 3 TBS Clear-Jel
    5 1/2 C. cold water
    1 3/4 C. lemon juice

Peel peaches. To loosen skins, submerge peaches in boiling water for approximately 30-60 seconds, and then place in cold water for 20 seconds. Slip off skins and prepare slices 1/2-inch thick. Place slices in water with a little bit of lemon juice in it to prevent browning. Combine water, sugar, Clear Jel in a large kettle. Stir and cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil sauce 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Fold in drained peach slices and continue to heat mixture for 5 minutes. Fill jars without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately for 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 7 quarts.

SheWoff---

Thank You. How's about blueberry and cherry?

Also, what is Clear-Jel and where do I find it? Is it like Sure Jel?

I've never used it before...

Thank You in advance. I surely do appreciate

you and all the other "Canning Gals" here at TOL.

You give me inspiration.

All the Best--- W.A.

Thanks, SheWoff....and what about apple?

Default Happy to find this

Did a search and found this thread. I can't wait to start canning pie filling. I made apple last year and it was a huge hit with the family. Does anyone add cinnamon to their peach filling?

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    Peach pie filling to can

6 quarts fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
    7 cups sugar
    2 C. + 3 TBS Clear-Jel
    5 1/2 C. cold water
    1 3/4 C. lemon juice

Peel peaches. To loosen skins, submerge peaches in boiling water for approximately 30-60 seconds, and then place in cold water for 20 seconds. Slip off skins and prepare slices 1/2-inch thick. Place slices in water with a little bit of lemon juice in it to prevent browning. Combine water, sugar, Clear Jel in a large kettle. Stir and cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil sauce 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Fold in drained peach slices and continue to heat mixture for 5 minutes. Fill jars without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately for 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 7 quarts.

Default Cornstarch Vs Clear jell

I have an apple pie filling recipe that calls for cornstarch, which I have on hand. Is there any reason why this would be a bad thing?

Thanks, can't wait to can some filling.

Cornstarch will work, but may not give exactly the same results as using ClearJel. The best thing I can tell you is to try a SMALL batch and see if the results are edible/acceptable for you. The home economists who developed the clear jel recipes for canning used it for a reason... I believe it's better for the heat involved (it might have something to do with the "twice heated"- first for canning and then baking the pie, but it's been many years since I read about it)

Summerthyme

Thanks, the twice heating makes sense. I guess I will try it with what I have on hand then purchase the Jel for future batches. Do you add food coloring? I am trying to avoid additives. Also, why does the recipe here include putting the apples in boiling water?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited to be canning.