There is at least one thread here on making pie crusts. The "secret" to making them is to use COLD water, and to "cut in" your butter or fat (I will only use butter or lard) into the flour and salt just until it's like coarse cornmeal.

Then add COLD water- ice water if at all possible, and only add enough for the dough to hold together into a ball. Work it as little as possible... the more you knead it and work it, the less tender and flaky it will be.

I make a recipe which makes 3 double crust pies, (my KitchenAid mixer is a lifesaver for this) and I divide it into 6 equal (as close as I can get) pieces. Then I roll them into balls between my hands, and flatten them into disks, making sure the edges are smooth and don't have cracks.

Then I refrigerate them for up to a week, or freeze (double wrapped) for up to 6 months.

To use, I remove as many disks as I need (each one makes one crust, top or bottom) and either thaw, or let warm just enough so they can be rolled out. I use a floured pastry cloth and roll gently but firmly, turning as needed so the dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin, but not adding any more flour than is absolutely needed.

The reason behind forming disks with smooth edges is because it gives you a head start on a nice round shape (so less dough waste or extra dough to trim off which needs to be re-rolled; re-rolling the dough makes it tough). And any cracks or roughness in the edges when you start rolling will become deep splits and tears in the crust, which can be tough to patch up.

Avoid thinking they have to be perfect in appearance... you're better off with a crust which looks a little lopsided or has a patch or two, than one which you've rerolled until it's perfect- the latter may look nice but will be tough, not flaky and tender.

Summerthyme