Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pie Fillings

What a treasure trove of info...thank you so much She...now, I need an opinion: I have alot of frozen, from the store, pkgs of berries of all kinds. I know they wouldn't turn out like fresh, but how's about canning those? Same process?
    Old enough to remember

Yes, same recipe. Just rinse them well and make sure they are thawed all the way through first and then just use like you would fresh fruit in the recipes. Which makes it nice too, if you don't have the time right then to make pie fillings, or if you want to wait until the weather cools some first then go ahead and freeze the fruit and make your canned pie fillings later on.

She

Wow, wonderful recipes. I'd better get going with peaches and blueberries..they're fresh now. Apples will be here soon. Our spring was so cold in the Northwest our blackberries are still tight and really green. I'm hoping for a bit of an Indian Summer or we won't have many. Our mornings are so cool already, my Japanese Maples are turning.

Quote Originally Posted by September View Post
    Wow, wonderful recipes. I'd better get going with peaches and blueberries..they're fresh now. Apples will be here soon. Our spring was so cold in the Northwest our blackberries are still tight and really green. I'm hoping for a bit of an Indian Summer or we won't have many. Our mornings are so cool already, my Japanese Maples are turning.

We have apples due here in about two weeks, so then I will get busy with pie fillings then too. I tried canning blackberries for pie filling one time, but wasn't pleased with the results. They came out much better freezing the berries and making pies that way...or cobblers.
    Is it normal for your trees to start turning already??

She

SheWoff, I'll have Gravensteins at the end of the month and Liberty's and Spartans end of September. However, it looks like everything may be a couple of weeks later.

What is clear jel? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by louise View Post
    What is clear jel? LOL
    See post #7 louise lol...If I didn't explain it too well, which is my usual thing to do, I'll try it again.

She

Shewolf , are these your recipes or some that you found on web and posted?

Thanks Shewoff, I had been looking for pie filling recipes without much luck. I knew I couldn't use my apple pie filling from scratch and can it (at least the book say I can't).

She Wolf,
    Do you have any good methods for getting the crust to stay crisp when using canned or frozen, pre-made pie filling? I know that baking it first helps, but I wasn't sure if it should be baked all the way or just part way.

Thanks,
    DC
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats