Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pie Fillings

There is at least one thread here on making pie crusts. The "secret" to making them is to use COLD water, and to "cut in" your butter or fat (I will only use butter or lard) into the flour and salt just until it's like coarse cornmeal.

Then add COLD water- ice water if at all possible, and only add enough for the dough to hold together into a ball. Work it as little as possible... the more you knead it and work it, the less tender and flaky it will be.

I make a recipe which makes 3 double crust pies, (my KitchenAid mixer is a lifesaver for this) and I divide it into 6 equal (as close as I can get) pieces. Then I roll them into balls between my hands, and flatten them into disks, making sure the edges are smooth and don't have cracks.

Then I refrigerate them for up to a week, or freeze (double wrapped) for up to 6 months.

To use, I remove as many disks as I need (each one makes one crust, top or bottom) and either thaw, or let warm just enough so they can be rolled out. I use a floured pastry cloth and roll gently but firmly, turning as needed so the dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin, but not adding any more flour than is absolutely needed.

The reason behind forming disks with smooth edges is because it gives you a head start on a nice round shape (so less dough waste or extra dough to trim off which needs to be re-rolled; re-rolling the dough makes it tough). And any cracks or roughness in the edges when you start rolling will become deep splits and tears in the crust, which can be tough to patch up.

Avoid thinking they have to be perfect in appearance... you're better off with a crust which looks a little lopsided or has a patch or two, than one which you've rerolled until it's perfect- the latter may look nice but will be tough, not flaky and tender.

Summerthyme

Thanks Summerthyme,

Your tips are what I am needed. I have read so many recipes and tried some but I can never make them roll out decent. My mom made it look effortless.

When you use the Kitchen Aid do you use the dough hook and process until it forms a ball? Is your recipe posted in the pie crust section? My husband loves pie and I really want to make them well.

I made an apple pie tonight using the filling I put up this week. Since I had deviated from recipe and used apple cider, I wanted to try it. The pie was wonderful.

Thank you Summerthyme and others for your help. I will be putting up more.

I love to see that crust recipe too, although the thread where you explained my problem was probably wet flour (very wet climate) is probably why my Mom's award winning, ice water pie crust, just makes a mess here.

At least I can now use hot-water crusts which while not flaky, don't turn into mud either.

Going to make some pumpkin pie today, and have canned 7 quarts of pumpkin chunks so far in the pressure canner. This is the only time of year we can buy pumpkin here and the harvest in our garden was zero and even the commercial one was small.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Glad it helped! So many of the little "tricks" in cooking and baking aren't ever explained in the cookbooks, and fewer and fewer of us learned them at home. And yes, especially in baking, climate can make a huge difference... it's why commercial recipes use weight instead of volume measurements... if you're really having problems with recipes using flour, consider trying to find the recipe on the King Arthur Flour webpage and click their "measure by weight" choice. A decent kitchen scale isn't that expensive, and the savings in not having "bricks" or other disasters will more than pay for it.

Here is the pie crust recipe I've made for years. When I use the KitchenAid mixer, I use the "whisk" at first... to mix in the salt into the flour and then to cut in the fat. Then I switch to the regular mixing tool (not the bread hook) and mix it JUST until it starts to hold together. I finish it by kneading it together by hand- usually no more than 3-4 turns of the dough.

This makes crusts for 3 double crust pies (at least 9" pie pans... and if you work it thin enough, it will make 3, 10" pies. If you use 8" pie plates, you'll have leftover dough... make a single crust pie with it (pumpkin or other cream pies are almost always single crust) or cut out shapes, dust with cinnamon and sugar and bake for crispy treats... they go well with tea or hot cocoa)

6 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 cup lard, chilled and cut into small pieces OR
    1 cup shortening
    1 cup butter
    1 cup ice water OR UP TO 1 1/2 cups ice water

Place the flour and salt in mixer bowl and stir briefly to mix. Add the butter and lard or shortening (a total of 2 cups of fat... it can be all butter or lard, but if you are going to do that, cut it back to 1 7/8 cups... those two are "shorter" than shortening) Stir with the whisk, or cut in with two knives or a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal.

Slowly pour the water into the mix while stirring, using JUST ENOUGH for the mixture to form a ball, but not be wet. It will still look a bit crumbly, but will form a ball when pressed with your fingers. (I start with 1 cup, and except during the driest winter months, that's usually enough. If it needs more, I add it 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is right... it's much easier to add a little more water than try to "fix" a dough that is soggy!)

Transfer the pastry to a large piece of waxed paper (or a LIGHTLY floured pastry cloth). Divide it into 3rds, and then divide those pieces into half...I tend to adjust for the fact that the bottom crust needs to be slightly larger than the top crust by cutting the "halves" just slightly lopsided.

Roll each piece into a ball, and then flatten gently into a flat round disk about 5" across. Smooth any splits or rough edges now... it's never going to be any easier.

Wrap each round in a plastic bag, plastic wrap or waxed paper and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (I often skip this, although the dough is probably slightly flakier if you do refrigerate it) To store more than overnight, overwrap with aluminum foil (or put in a heavy freezer bag) to keep from drying out.

You can refrigerate this for up to a week, or freeze for at least a couple of months.

To roll out the crust, let it sit at room temp for 10-15 minutes (if refrigerated- if frozen, it will take a couple hours to thaw. DO NOT try to use the microwave to speed it up!!)

Then roll out gently on a lightly floured pastry cloth (if you don't have one, you can make one for a reasonable price by buying a yard of heavy cotton duck fabric, and hemming the edges) Rolling it takes some practice... I start in the center and roll OUTWARD towards the edges. Flip the pastry over a couple of times, rather than adding flour to the top... adding too much flour creates a tough crust. Practice with a piece if you need to... if you can envision a circle with arrows all pointing outward from the center, that's the direction you should be rolling. Don't get heavy handed... just rolling lightly will work and will decrease the chances of the dough sticking to the rolling pin.

If you do get a tear, LIGHTLY moisten the edges with a bit of water and press them together, then dust over it with flour and keep rolling.

To put it in the pie plate, fold it over gently in half, and lift it into the plate, then unfold it. Or you can roll it onto the rolling pin, and unroll it into the pie plate, but I find the first way works easier for me.

Press it gently into the pie plate, and trim the edges with a sharp knife so they are 1" beyond the edges of the pie plate.

Fill your pie, and roll out your top crust (actually, reverse that- have your top crust rolled and ready before putting the pie filling in the pie, especially if you're using a canned- ie: wet- filling. You don't want the filling sitting in the unbaked crust and getting it soggy while you roll out the top crust, until you get enough experience so it's quick and easy)

Place the top crust on top of the filling, and trim the edges evenly to just match the edges of the bottom crust. Roll the edges under (if it's easier at first, you can reverse that and roll them upwards, with the bottom crust rolling up over the top. It's not quite as neat looking, but it works and is easier at first). Then crimp them either between your thumb and forefingers (easier to do than describe!!) or use a fork and crimp them together firmly. This is more than just decoration- it's what seals the edges and keeps pieces of crust from pulling away and falling off or burning... and also prevents the filling from leaking out the sides.

Cut vent openings in the top crust... you can get as fancy or simple as you want, here. But make sure you've got openings in all four quarters of the pie, or the crust may balloon up and then collapse and crack.

Bake as your recipe requires- I usually bake at 400° for 15 minutes (this "sets" the crust, and prevents sagging edges) and then reduce the temperature to 325-350° and bake an additional 30 minutes or so, until the crust is golden and the filling is cooked through.

Summerthyme

Thank you very much Summerthyme! I am printing your directions out and will be using them this weekend(for testing purposes) and then again next week for holiday pies. My mom was a horrible cook, but could make the best sweets. She made the best pie crusts. I watched her, but could never make mine like hers. Now that she is gone, my crusts seem to have become even worse. To the point where my normally frugal self actually has purchased pie crusts from the store. So with your very detailed instructions I should be able to make a decent pie. I won't feel so embarrassed with my pies sitting next to my friend's pies on Thanksgiving day hopefully.

Yes, Summerthyme, thank you for the recipe. I will be trying it out soon.

Default Happy to find this

Did a search and found this thread. I can't wait to start canning pie filling. I made apple last year and it was a huge hit with the family. Does anyone add cinnamon to their peach filling?

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    Peach pie filling to can

6 quarts fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
    7 cups sugar
    2 C. + 3 TBS Clear-Jel
    5 1/2 C. cold water
    1 3/4 C. lemon juice

Peel peaches. To loosen skins, submerge peaches in boiling water for approximately 30-60 seconds, and then place in cold water for 20 seconds. Slip off skins and prepare slices 1/2-inch thick. Place slices in water with a little bit of lemon juice in it to prevent browning. Combine water, sugar, Clear Jel in a large kettle. Stir and cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil sauce 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Fold in drained peach slices and continue to heat mixture for 5 minutes. Fill jars without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately for 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 7 quarts.