Sooo, I'm probably late to the game, but wanted some input. Eons ago, I was a ham radio operator. I mean, 45 years ago. I am pretty technically-oriented, but pretty-much out-of-date.

Topographically, we're mountainous, with only one east-west road, and a T intersection with another road. Most of the town can get line-of-sight to the town green. There's a siren tower on the fire station, which could probably handle an antenna for a repeater, perhaps?

What technology ( legal or not, don't care ) would be best for this kind of thing? Price is definitely a consideration.

Can't be toys - not really concerned about crypto as I suspect our opponents, if any, will not be particularly organized. The purpose would be to reliably warn people if something's happening.

20 years ago, I had FRS radios, but I wasn't too impressed with them. Is there something better? I'm very familiar with 2 meter radio, and could probably find a repeater for a reasonable cost. ( 2-meters is apparently mostly dead now )

We do NOT have cell service here, FYI.

I'm almost wondering if I should set up a higher-power WIFI at the fire station, I could completely do that, as I'm in IT. But 2.5 or 5.0 ghz doesn't go very far, and the power we're talking about is probably insufficient. If using a repeater, we could probably get 100 watts output pretty easily - then the question is do we just suggest scanners?

I feel really stupid asking this, actually. But - things are getting ridiculous.

Earl