Thread: SHTF Comms

Default SHTF Comms

Sooo, I'm probably late to the game, but wanted some input. Eons ago, I was a ham radio operator. I mean, 45 years ago. I am pretty technically-oriented, but pretty-much out-of-date.

Topographically, we're mountainous, with only one east-west road, and a T intersection with another road. Most of the town can get line-of-sight to the town green. There's a siren tower on the fire station, which could probably handle an antenna for a repeater, perhaps?

What technology ( legal or not, don't care ) would be best for this kind of thing? Price is definitely a consideration.

Can't be toys - not really concerned about crypto as I suspect our opponents, if any, will not be particularly organized. The purpose would be to reliably warn people if something's happening.

20 years ago, I had FRS radios, but I wasn't too impressed with them. Is there something better? I'm very familiar with 2 meter radio, and could probably find a repeater for a reasonable cost. ( 2-meters is apparently mostly dead now )

We do NOT have cell service here, FYI.

I'm almost wondering if I should set up a higher-power WIFI at the fire station, I could completely do that, as I'm in IT. But 2.5 or 5.0 ghz doesn't go very far, and the power we're talking about is probably insufficient. If using a repeater, we could probably get 100 watts output pretty easily - then the question is do we just suggest scanners?

I feel really stupid asking this, actually. But - things are getting ridiculous.

Earl
    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Withdraw consent!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Sinclair View Post
    I feel really stupid asking this, actually.

Earl
    I can't see a reason why you should. "we've" touched on this subject a time or five with recommendations for bofang or gmrs or what ever the most recent revelation in local communication was but for the most part didn't move beyond this.

I seem to recall Housewolf at one time attempted to establish a net at a given time, day and frequency but I don't recall the outcome ... haven't seen it mentioned again.

I had excellent comms in the CB (HF) realm decades ago. While not cheap it was affordable if communication was a priority.

I used an export radio at first. AM transmission is easily interfered with, SSB not so much and if you can get a grasp on CW, very difficult to obstruct ... N'less a course the us goobermint decides to wipe the entire spectrum.

The true comm gurus now reside down in the pit if you care to post your query there.

O.W.

Get yourself a Yaesu FT991a.
    She does UHF, VHF, and HF all the way to 160meters. Output is 50 watts 2 meter, 100 watts HF, and all contained in a very compact solid state package. Also has a waterfall display which is incredibly useful when searching for traffic. You'll need a decent DC power supply, at least 23 amps; A samlex 1235m for example.
    Add a good HF antenna, and a decent UHF/VHF, and you've got a serious station right out of the box.
    Add a md-100 mike and you're a world station.

Total out of pocket is quite do-able around $1500- 1600.

You can spend a lot more, but this system will meet your needs.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Yaesu FT-991A is a good recommendation. The receiver portion is a general coverage receiver so you can also listen to good reliable SW broadcasts such as WRMI, etc. Also available are a few inexpensive guides you can look at before you buy a radio if desired. You can also look for scheduled hamfests in your area where you will be able to see lots of different type radio equipment and talk to folks who have experience using it and get advice and recommendation about which antenna you will want.

Leftism Is a Religion Without The Ability To Forgive

Thanks for the suggestion(s) - except for Oscar who can take a flying leap.

Earl

PS( I DO still know Morse code - I learned it at 12 and still mentally tap-out things absently like telling some above to .._. _ _ _ )
    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Withdraw consent!

Aside from long range comm, short range can be key to defending any given area.
    Simple, but high quality GMRS radios give you "tactical" communications between sentries, and/or snipers.
    Night vision, wireless radios, and suppressors along with camo, and of course, training, and proper "preparation" of the battle space, makes for a very tough nut to crack.
    HAVE A PLAN TO KILL EVERY COMMUNIST/FASCIST/SATANIST YOU MEET
    You can thank me later

@AWM - my small town relatively remote, but straddles a US highway, and intersects a scenic highway. 90% of traffic we get is going somewhere else. There aren't even 1,000 people here. I'm mostly interested in informing people along the road that trouble may be coming. There's a small "trading post" style store with a politically-incorrect name on the outskirts which would be an obvious first target, so having somebody able to directly observe it would be good.

I just don't want to wake up one day to a crowd pounding on my door. You know - completely surprised.

Earl

Withdraw consent!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Sinclair View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion(s) - except for Oscar who can take a flying leap.

Earl
    ... is it something I typed?

O.W.