Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have Family Members who are shaking in thier Boots...

Default I have Family Members who are shaking in thier Boots...

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/06/04/i-h...being-removed/

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) -Emotions ran high Thursday following Gov. Ralph Northam’s announcement to remove the monument of Robert E. Lee.

“There are members of my family that are shaking in their boots. I know Robert E. Lee is rolling in his grave and I say let him roll,” Robert W. Lee said.

Lee is a fourth-generation nephew and stood on the monument that honors his namesake, joining others in support of tearing down his family’s legacy.

The monument has been in the city of Richmond for exactly 130 years.

“We don’t need these hate statues that have been up here for years. I’ve seen these every day since I was a little kid and it’s about time that these go down,” John More said.

“Seeing it made me upset and angry,” Asia White said.

Asia White came to the statue in full Pomp and Circumstance. White wanted the monument to be her background for her senior pictures.

This is our celebration and the monuments coming down is a celebration for Virginia,” White said.

It wasn’t just a day filled with those who wanted to see the statue removed but also many who wanted to see it stay.

“I’m here supporting my monuments. My history and my heritage. My ancestors fought in Virginia,” Will Smith said.

Will Smith came from Halifax County to defend something he holds near and dear to his heart.

“It’s a feeling that you are carrying on your family’s traditions,” Smith said.

“I was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia and I will never set foot in Richmond, Virginia again,” a man from the Virginia Flaggers said.

“If they take those monuments down the residents on Monument Avenue and Historic District then their property values will plummet,” another person said.

By Eric Perry | June 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM EDT - Updated June 4 at 8:20 PM

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) -Emotions ran high Thursday following Gov. Ralph Northam’s announcement to remove the monument of Robert E. Lee.

“There are members of my family that are shaking in their boots. I know Robert E. Lee is rolling in his grave and I say let him roll,” Robert W. Lee said.

Lee is a fourth-generation nephew and stood on the monument that honors his namesake, joining others in support of tearing down his family’s legacy.

“We don’t need these hate statues that have been up here for years. I’ve seen these every day since I was a little kid and it’s about time that these go down,” John More said.

Asia White came to the statue in full Pomp and Circumstance. White wanted the monument to be her background for her senior pictures.

“This is our celebration and the monuments coming down is a celebration for Virginia,” White said.

It wasn’t just a day filled with those who wanted to see the statue removed but also many who wanted to see it stay.

“I’m here supporting my monuments. My history and my heritage. My ancestors fought in Virginia,” Will Smith said.

Will Smith came from Halifax County to defend something he holds near and dear to his heart.

“It’s a feeling that you are carrying on your family’s traditions,” Smith said.

“I was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia and I will never set foot in Richmond, Virginia again,” a man from the Virginia Flaggers said.

“If they take those monuments down the residents on Monument Avenue and Historic District then their property values will plummet,” another person said.

“Damn a monument. It’s not about a monument. It’s about men and women being killed because of how they look,” Mike Jones said.

Richmond City Councilman Mike Jones said it’s a day he never thought he would see.

It’s a long fight that brought the city leader to tears.

“It was when my kids came out and took a picture and said, ‘dad, we are proud of the fight that you are in,’” Jones said.

Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.

By Eric Perry | June 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM EDT - Updated June 4 at 8:20 PM

''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

General Lee refused to allow himself to be buried with any confederate uniform or regalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    General Lee refused to allow himself to be buried with any confederate uniform or regalia.

“I think it wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered,” -Robert E. Lee on building a statue of him in memorial of Gettysburg, 1866

There are many statues of Robert E. Lee around, people want them to remain because they're history. Yes, Lee was an historical figure. But rather than removing them use them to tell the whole story. Next to each statue of Lee, put up another. The new ones will celebrate Lee's surrender to US Grant after
    Appomattox. That's history, too.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

https://disqus.com/by/PierreBezukhov1812/

Quote Originally Posted by Bezukhov View Post
    .... That's history, too.
    But not much cause for celebration.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    But not much cause for celebration.

O.W.
    Depends on who side you would have signed up for.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

Depends on who side you would have signed up for.
    I was raised in the state of Ohio and I can assure you that there are a significant number of folk there who if you were to utter such nonsense in their presence they would hand your next of kin your tongue.

Governments, at the behest of financiers are those who create war. Many soldiers who are thrust into battle do not share the sentiments of their goobermints but then it has become a case of kill or be killed.

It is during the conflict that soldiers of either side develop the contempt or admiration for their adversaries as a result of conduct on the battlefield and treatment of prisoners and civillians.

Any who would praise the actions of northern aggressors ... just be certain of the character of the company you're amongst when you do.

O.W.

Americans are now getting a small taste of the oppression that was forced on White Southerners [not blacks, only Whites] during the post-war decade of draconian Yankee military occupation and rule called "Reconstruction"! If you had lived through it like my Southern forefathers did, you would understand why the KKK and other White Southern secret militias were formed to try to protect their families from post-war lawlessness!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    I was raised in the state of Ohio and I can assure you that there are a significant number of folk there who if you were to utter such nonsense in their presence they would hand your next of kin your tongue.

Governments, at the behest of financiers are those who create war. Many soldiers who are thrust into battle do not share the sentiments of their goobermints but then it has become a case of kill or be killed.

It is during the conflict that soldiers of either side develop the contempt or admiration for their adversaries as a result of conduct on the battlefield and treatment of prisoners and civillians.

Any who would praise the actions of northern aggressors ... just be certain of the character of the company you're amongst when you do.

O.W.
    Well said. It can also be rather breathtaking how little the average American understood of history. Hell, grand-nephew doesn't even understand his own family tree or have even the slightest concept of who his Robert E. Lee was.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    Americans are now getting a small taste of the oppression that was forced on White Southerners [not blacks, only Whites] during the post-war decade of draconian Yankee military occupation and rule called "Reconstruction"! If you had lived through it like my Southern forefathers did, you would understand why the KKK and other White Southern secret militias were formed to try to protect their families from post-war lawlessness!
    "...the oppression that was forced on White Southerners..."

Another word for that is Karma.

Gandalf the Grey

My Disqus channel:

"...the oppression that was forced on White Southerners..."

Another word for that is Karma.

Children also had to live through draconian "Reconstruction"...
    but at least they weren't forced by the Yankees to wear masks !!