Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive Explosion in Beirut

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

OR

Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Is Ammonium nitrate (AN) a red powder?
    I see a large reddish brown smoke or powder cloud before the explosion.
    Was the AN dissipating and less contained to explode?
    Would the air mixed with the AN make the explosion worse, kind of like grain dust?
    There appeared to be a lot of the red/brown cloud even after the explosion.
    I understand AN needs to be packed tight along with an oil to do any good.
    As I have read, an AN explosion is relatively slow.
    The explosion in Beirut appeared to be too sudden for AN.
    Just asking

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Bullwinkle View Post
    Is Ammonium nitrate (AN) a red powder?

apparently it will explode red if it doesn't completely burn but i suggest that the red dust if from vaporized bricks. there is a before and after picture where it looks like a ton of red 'dust' on the ground afterwards. It could have been a fertilizer bomb but causing a 3.3 magnitude quake i think it was a bunker buster or similar.

from another forum:

That thick red smoke is NOx - a byproduct of incomplete combustion of ammonium nitrate. That much and that thick of smoke to me suggests a severely under fueled ANFO reaction. So that makes sense to me. An old dirty warehouse could have a couple hundred tons of oil or diesel that might have created the fuel for a pile this big. Alternatively, it might not have been raw fertilizer, it could have been dry ANFO. Generally this stuff needs confinement to go off, but a 2,700 tonne pile would have an element of self-confinement, just due to its size. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't that much bulk explosives. An average size mine in Canada would go through 60 to 100 tonnes of explosives per day. I've personally witnessed days where we have loaded 200 tonnes. 2,700 tonnes would be about 65 super-b trucks full of powder.

But the issue is that its actually not that easy to ignite ammonium nitrate. It's generally a booster sensitive product - you aren't going to set this stuff off with a stray match or a cigarette butt. You'd need a VERY intense fire, or some other high explosive to kick start the reaction. Either it was deliberate, and someone wanted to set it off... or it was pure stupidity to store that much bulk explosive in the port next to other explosives that could potentially trigger a reaction.

It will be interesting to see what direction this takes.

"Good guys" ??

You sure about that ?!

Massive protests in Beirut turned violent on Saturday.

Beirut rocked by protests as grief over blast turns to fury; ministry buildings overrun

August 8, 2020

BEIRUT - Thousands of demonstrators gathered Saturday in Beirut, taking over the government ministries and facing off against security forces amid an outpouring of anger following the huge blast that ripped through the city this past week.

A protest in central Martyrs' Square turned violent early as soldiers and police forces fired tear gas and protesters threw rocks, adding to the bloodshed for a city that has already bled so much."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...129_story.html

Trump again says Lebanon blast
    might have been attack - ABC News

August 6, 2020

" WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump on Wednesday continued to suggest that the massive explosion that killed at least 135 people in Lebanon might have been a deliberate attack...

... On Tuesday, Trump called the explosion a terrible attack and said American generals told him it was likely caused by a bomb. "They seem to think it was an attack," Trump said. "It was a bomb of some kind, yes."...

more at link

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...acked-72190863

Laura19 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Trump was laughed at when he said Obama was wire tapping him, but he was right. I believe him about Beirut

THE END ISN'T NEAR.........IT'S HERE

The problem is not global warming – it is moral cooling.