Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lids

Default lids

There is a national canning lid shortage due to the covid shutdowns. I'm wondering how many here would reuse the regular canning jar lids? I've experimented with it once in the past and they worked just fine. I would not reuse them more than once, unless there was just nothing else. I do save the used lids for just such an emergency. I also have enough new lids to can what I can for this season.
    Thanks.
    What will you say on judgment day?

The bankers win every war.

When growing food is outlawed I'll BE an outlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah Gunn View Post
    There is a national canning lid shortage due to the covid shutdowns. I'm wondering how many here would reuse the regular canning jar lids? I've experimented with it once in the past and they worked just fine. I would not reuse them more than once, unless there was just nothing else. I do save the used lids for just such an emergency. I also have enough new lids to can what I can for this season.
    Thanks.
    Several years ago Walmart was clearing out their seasonal stock, and had ball lids for 20 cents a box. There were half a dozen cases, which now reside in my barn. I even got a couple cases of the large.
    I figured it was a lifetime supply.
    Not sure how longs the seals are good for but they're in a cool dark dry place, so we'll see.
    Haven't had a failure yet.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah Gunn View Post
    There is a national canning lid shortage due to the covid shutdowns. ....
    Thanks.
    https://canninglids.com/shop/

My order ought to be arriving any day now.

O.W.

Thanks for the link OW.
    What will you say on judgment day?

The bankers win every war.

When growing food is outlawed I'll BE an outlaw.

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Its well-known that reusing lids is frowned on, but if that's all you've got, I would very lightly simmer them on the stove, turn the burner off and see if they'll "replump".

On the old 'glass' lids all we did was wash'em and replace the rubber seal,the metal lids no.
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"

I re-use canning jar lids for '' Dry canning''. They work just fine.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

I have a friend who re-uses her lids. She only does it once. I am now saving all my used lids. If there was a shortage this year; I wonder what next year will be like. I heard there was a metal shortages on making those lids. I am preparing for next year.
    Don't wait to prep when there is an emergency - it's too late.

I am saving used lids too – just in case new ones are not available in the future. I have a two or three year supply of new unused lids, but we don’t know what the future holds.

I regularly use the used lids for vacuum sealing. They work just fine.

I'd like to get some lids; but I don't want to order lids from a company that gets them from China. Someone received some lids and said they were soft and bendable; didn't seal very well either!!!
    Don't wait to prep when there is an emergency - it's too late.