Thread: Skool me on Striker fired pistols

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Skool me on Striker fired pistols

I am in Canada and I just completed my RPAL course the other day, which means I am a few weeks out from buying a pistol. I have boiled it down to 9mm striker fired for my first. I had my eye set on the IWI Masada when I was told (by Glock people) to forget the IWI and go for a Glock for ease of spare parts etc. I was also told that the Sig (I discovered the p320 m17 would suit my needs) would be 'on par' with Glock. Another dealer was very kind to also recommended a Beretta that I could buy from them. (the APX in my opinion is a close second to the Masada but I am unsure since it looks like it has the 'spikes' on the grip the same as the Glock which I didn't find comfortable so that will push it to 4th) Now I don't know. I am still leaning to the Masada cause after all it is made by iwi and as far as I can tell they don't eff around when it comes to quality firearms, but just to be on the safe side I will throw it out there for opinions. Oh I should mention I am lefty so ambidextrous controls are a must since at my course they had us do it all right handed and I noticed I swept my hand with the muzzle a few times while practicing reaching over to rack and drop the slide. (probably just noob errors but better to be safe with ambi controls)

I have broken it down like this:

1) IWI Masada (~$700)
    2) S&W MP9 2.0 (~$700)
    3) Sig p320 M17 (~$900)
    4) Beretta APX (~$700)
    5)Glock either 17 or 19x ($800-1000) depending on model and sites

If you have other suggestions in Canada minimum of 4.13 inches (105mm) for barrel length and 10 round magazines max. W
    hat is your advice?

Gluck 19, buy as much ammo and mags as you can afford
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Is there anyway for you to shoot one first?

IWI has non existing customer service,,the others should be gtg but try them first.
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"

Your choice, but all of those are good choices.

I personally HATE Glocks, they just don't fit my hand, nothing wrong with the gun though, if it fits you.

That in my humble opinion, would be the deciding factor among the choices you have up there, which are you most comfortable holding, and which points at point of aim most naturally without having to correct.

I have been shooting the 1911 platform for so long, all I really need to do is throw it up and it is right there. Back when I first started 40 plus years ago, it was the most comfortable in my hand of everything I held.

Carried Glocks exclusively for years, but now carry a Springfield XD variant most the time. Still have the Glocks, and they’re good to go, just like the new Springfield form and fit for Concealment.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Police dog 1, bad guy nothin':

thankyou for all the replies. I asked this on another site also and the gereral consensus was if it feels good in your hand you cant go wrong.

I was out this weekend at the range with a friend who brought his pistols and had a chance to shoot 5 different ones. They were all comfortable to shoot (even the Glock which was a little surprising to me) out of all the ones we shot I think I liked the sig m17 the best, but being that I was pretty much comfortable shooting all, I will just make my decision based on price first then go from there with the pros and cons (reliability, service, accessories, etc.)