Thread: Real world value of gold?

Default Real world value of gold?

I haven't posted on this website but have read much. My late brother was a big fan of this site and urged me to join before he died. He was a moderate prepper. He saved silver and gold as well. I have a question as to the value of metals. When the shtf and means of survival become of more value, what will be the real value of gold or silver? Steel, iron, or aluminum, I think, will have a far greater value as they have a usefulness greater than gold or silver. Even copper as a conductor will have more value in electrical generation. I think back to an episode of "Alf" where he says that on his planet gold is worthless. It was used for the plumbing on his spaceship. Ancient civilizations valued gold for its beauty and little more. In a non-monetary society using barter solely as a means of exchange of goods and services, what good is having precious metals if nobody needs them? Wouldn't it be better to stockpile goods and/or develop skills? Use monetary funds now while they have value to purchase goods, equipment, and instructions for skills that will retain value later.

Is there some utilitarian use for gold or silver?

Depending on one's circumstances it's always wise to stockpile food and other hard commodities. The advantage of PMs is that they are not affected by hyperinflation and can be transported with ease. The world is faced with it's first manufactured global crisis whose intent is to crash all systems and install world communism/fascism; PMs may well be outlawed but then so will 'food hoarding' and other capitalist sins. This winter should be quite interesting
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    I haven't posted on this website but have read much. My late brother was a big fan of this site and urged me to join before he died. He was a moderate prepper. He saved silver and gold as well. I have a question as to the value of metals. When the shtf and means of survival become of more value, what will be the real value of gold or silver? Steel, iron, or aluminum, I think, will have a far greater value as they have a usefulness greater than gold or silver. Even copper as a conductor will have more value in electrical generation. I think back to an episode of "Alf" where he says that on his planet gold is worthless. It was used for the plumbing on his spaceship. Ancient civilizations valued gold for its beauty and little more. In a non-monetary society using barter solely as a means of exchange of goods and services, what good is having precious metals if nobody needs them? Wouldn't it be better to stockpile goods and/or develop skills? Use monetary funds now while they have value to purchase goods, equipment, and instructions for skills that will retain value later.

Is there some utilitarian use for gold or silver?
    Ok, so how much current wealth do you have? Kind of hard to store 50K worth of Copper, easy to carry 50K in Gold anywhere you walk.

Stop thinking of it as day to day trading material. That is as fallacious as saying you are investing in Gold. No, it is for after your other prep needs have been satisfied, and you need to convert worthless fiat to something that has NEVER been worthless in over 5,000 years.

Those idiots telling you that you need to store gold and silver to get rich are the ones getting rich pumping and dumping metals.