Quote Originally Posted by Earl Sinclair View Post
Just made a trip from New Hampshire to South Dakota and back. While I'm not an expert, I do have eyes and was able to observe a fair amount of the farms in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and a little of South Dakota.

Earlier this year, on a separate trip to Montana, I observed a great swath of Ohio and Indiana from relative backroads. On this trip, we made an accidental incursion into Illinois off the interstate to Kewanee, Illinois.

What *I* saw is - that everything looks just fine. VERY few fallow fields, PLENTY of green, plenty of healthy looking crops. The overwhelming majority being corn, of course.
I saw several fields that had already been harvested, and they were the only brown I saw.

Furthermore - the condition of the farms and their buildings put New Hampshire to shame. These people REALLY want their farms to look good. VERY few buildings in disrepair, and lots of "gratuitous" mowing of grass between the roads and fields. I mean, it was close to Switzerland!

TONS of green healthy crops in all five states that I saw, and at least three of the states were on backroads off the interstate.

FWIW.

Earl
I took 6 kids fishing last Monday. On the way to the pond there are [were] large swaths of farmland. NONE OF IT was being farmed. Just weeds.

Been here 20 years and I've never seen anything like it.

Glad to know it's not like this everywhere.