Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Mixes

I agree with most everyone here...

I feel that it is cheaper to make homemade sauce then buy that stuff from the store.

1. It tastes better.

2. If your on a special diet you can make it to your special needs...such as no sugar or salt etc.

3. It is always a very good thing to know how to cook from scratch because of the times to come.

4. A very good reason to not only make it but can it as well...you never, never know what is coming around the next corner in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Saul, Saul, Saul, I grow my own herbs, meat, and tomatoes. This is much faster than simmering my homemade sauce for hours, like I usually do. I've been working all day and I don't feel like (or have the time to) make it, so I use this. It's still from scratch, just more convenient and, like Angel said, I know what's in it.

BTW, I cook ALL of our meals from scratch - no packaged food. We don't go to restaurants, either.
    Many of us here, do make our own everything Saul. i grow my mators, every thing that goes into my sauce, including meat. I am like belle, and many others.
    I don't want to chance it with store bought crap. way to many chemicals in it for me. and who even knows if the meat would be good. I know mine is good.
    momof23goats

Default About the Tomatos in OP

Belle (or anyone else who can confirm)

About the preparation directions in the original post - I'm assuming that the "tomatoes, water and cooking times" section refers to whatever type of tomato product you have to hand?

This looks like a great mix, and I will be making up some for the house. DH and the girls aren't overly fond of spaghetti sauce, so it can be a waste to buy or can pre-made sauce. But, if I can up the tomatoes plain; having this mix on hand will make things much simpler the few times we do have spaghetti sauce.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by h_oder View Post
    Belle (or anyone else who can confirm)

About the preparation directions in the original post - I'm assuming that the "tomatoes, water and cooking times" section refers to whatever type of tomato product you have to hand?
    Yes, that's right. That's one of the things I love about this recipe - I can use whatever tomato product is handy (or on sale). Also, it doesn't make a ton, so it's good for small families or sauce for a recipe. I'll be making a single recipe to pour over stuffed shells later this week.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Default Homemade Bisquick

8 cup sifted flour
    1 1/2 cup powder milk
    1 1/2 cup shortning
    1/4 cup baking powder
    1 tablespoon salt

Stir dry ingredients well then cut in shortning. Store airtight and cool. Will keep up to
    1 month. Makes 10 cups of mix.

To make muffins:
    1 cup mix
    1/3 cup water
    1 beaten egg

fill cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 min. at 425

To make biscuits:
    2 cup mix
    1/3 - 1/2 cup water

Makes 12 - 2" biscuits. Bake 12-15 min at 450

To make pancakes:

1 cup mix
    1/2 cup water
    1 beaten egg

Makes 6 4-5" Cakes

Belle, Thanks for the spaghetti Sauce Mix recipe, I too make everything pretty much from scratch. As you said, at least you know what is actually going into it!! When I had my farm, I canned sauce from scratch and everything else too. No longer have the farm, but still grow pots of herbs and a few tomatoe plants, squash and the like. Once homemade, no store sauce is going to come close in flavor or health giving vitamins and minerals to my mind. Just my own opinion of course. But, we folks who know how to make do will certainly have nicer tasting meals while others are bored stiff with their store bought stuff. Bless you Belle and thanks.

You're welcome, AL. You know something funny? I've been making sauce from this mix recipe pretty often lately, so I thought I'd make a batch of spaghetti sauce from scratch the other day. I'm pretty well known, in some circles, for my spaghetti sauce. Everyone thought it was from a jar! Apparently, they like the flavor of this mix. Suits me - it's a whole lot easier!
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown