Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why "Santa" Probably Hates Me

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    as bad as the one some tell their kids about a boogeyman named Satan.
    Ah, seems you just tipped your hand.
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

As far as "lies" go, I don't think that Santa or the tooth fairy are as bad as the one some tell their kids about a boogeyman named Satan.
    Darrin, do you believe the Bible?

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    Pretty obvious he visits the chapel for entertainment only.
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Not all of it.

For me, it's important to remember that the contents of the Bible was decided upon by the fourth century catholic church.
    Far from infallible, probably no less corrupt back then than they are today. So, I take it with a grain of salt.
    "In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Grid Organics View Post
    Ah, seems you just tipped your hand.
    Not trying to hide anything.
    "In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain

Pretty obvious he visits the chapel for entertainment only.
    Message boards in general are for entertainment purposes, imo.

Message boards in general are for entertainment purposes, imo.
    That's what I thought.
    Forum: The Chapel

Religion and theology

That's what I thought.
    Forum: The Chapel

Religion and theology
    I'll amend that.
    For information AND entertainment purposes.
    It's a thread about Santa Clause. So, no. I'm not taking it very seriously.

Not all of it.

For me, it's important to remember that the contents of the Bible was decided upon by the fourth century catholic church.
    Far from infallible, probably no less corrupt back then than they are today. So, I take it with a grain of salt.
    Interesting. Salt has a purpose, even a grain of it, though I'm pretty sure I don't understand the idiom. I understand that, rightly, you don't trust men...but, apparently, you trust yourself to discern what is believable and what is not? Personally, I don't trust myself, nor do I trust men...because we all seem to think we're right about everything....even though we aren't.

Where does that leave me? Cynical? Skeptical? Afraid? No. Confused? Sometimes, but, that is simply because I don't understand everything, yet. That's why I'm trying to know God, which, in my understanding is what Theology is. The study of God. A tall task, to be sure, but one journey He invites us all on....and the best part is that He promises to be found by us if we seek for Him with our whole heart.

Concerning a trust in the Bible. I understand that translations may be in error, sometimes. But, God seemed to inspire some of Abraham's descendants to keep meticulous records, for which I am grateful, of the history and evidence of His dealings with people, and what He said to them. The "Old Testament" is reliable, correct? The "Catholic church" didn't canonize it? Is it the so-called "New Testament" that you doubt? Specifically, references to satan? Thanks

Interesting. Salt has a purpose, even a grain of it, though I'm pretty sure I don't understand the idiom.
    It means I regard some of what is said in the bible as exaggerated, misleading, misinterpreted, or altogether untrue.

I understand that, rightly, you don't trust men...but, apparently, you trust yourself to discern what is believable and what is not?
    For myself? Yes. Who else would I trust?

Personally, I don't trust myself, nor do I trust men...because we all seem to think we're right about everything....even though we aren't.
    Men wrote the bible. The catholic church decided what made the final cut before sending it to the publisher. So, yes. You place a lot of faith in man.

Where does that leave me? Cynical? Skeptical? Afraid? No. Confused? Sometimes, but, that is simply because I don't understand everything, yet. That's why I'm trying to know God, which, in my understanding is what Theology is. The study of God. A tall task, to be sure, but one journey He invites us all on....and the best part is that He promises to be found by us if we seek for Him with our whole heart.
    On a similar journey, myself. Just taking a different path.

Concerning a trust in the Bible. I understand that translations may be in error, sometimes. But, God seemed to inspire some of Abraham's descendants to keep meticulous records, for which I am grateful, of the history and evidence of His dealings with people, and what He said to them. The "Old Testament" is reliable, correct? The "Catholic church" didn't canonize it? Is it the so-called "New Testament" that you doubt? Specifically, references to satan? Thanks
    It's all of it. While I believe that some of it was divinely inspired, it was still written by men. That's not to say that I dismiss it all out of hand.