Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin McCarthy loses a sixth vote as the GOP struggles to agree on a leader

Default Kevin McCarthy loses a sixth vote as the GOP struggles to agree on a leader

McCarthy got fewer votes than Tuesday as House Republicans made a sixth try to agree on a speaker. After the vote, the House adjourned and will return to the chamber at 8 p.m. EST
    Here's where things stand:
    Published January 4, 2023 at 10:15 AM EST

https://www.npr.org/live-updates/kev...-speaker-trump

• Republicans nominated Rep. Byron Donalds of Florida, for speaker three times on Wednesday. Each time he received 20 votes.
    • Democrats again unanimously nominated Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., as their speaker.
    • McCarthy, R-Calif., has wanted to be speaker — badly — for years, and seemed willing to do a lot of things to get the job.

[/COLOR]

Install some Dominion voting machines and get Nancy back to settle this
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

I've been laughing my tail off the last couple days. Nothing's funnier than Q and MAGA pols crashing and burning the whole party.

They're blocking the GOP-led House from doing serious work, like using Hunter Biden's dick pics to fix inflation.

Trump on the Dollar Tree Twitter strengthened his endorsement of McCarthy last night, and in true Trump fashion, Kevin got even fewer votes today.

CNN's Jake Tapper: "Is there a better chance of Jenny McCarthy becoming the next Speaker?"

CAPITOL HILL CAPTCHA:

Fred Upton Can’t Save House Republicans From Themselves

The former member of Congress would have to win over a lot of Democrats — and a few Republicans willing to be called traitors or worse.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...odds#xj4y7vzkg

By
    Francis Wilkinson
    January 4, 2023

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...odds#xj4y7vzkg

Republicans and Democrats Quietly Consider a Speaker Deal
    If McCarthy’s bid falters, several Democrats said they would consider serious concessions along with the right compromise candidate. Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) told Fox News that Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), a leading moderate, would be palatable to him, as would Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI). The Democratic lawmaker also laid out another red line: that Democrats would only support a Republican who did not vote to object to the 2020 election results. Such a scenario may only come into focus not only if McCarthy fails, but if Republicans also fail to coalesce around another candidate for speaker.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/republ...-deal?ref=home

I love it! "Democracy" in action! Or, is this a Republican form of government? Don't think you're alone in your laughter, dems! We've been laughing at you and your "speakers" for years! Honestly glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by solderguy View Post
    Republicans and Democrats Quietly Consider a Speaker Deal

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republ...-deal?ref=home
    Unlike Democrats who just want to screw the hard working people of America some Republicans are making sure that if given their support McCarthy doesn't turn into a RINO in disguise....We have been taken to the coals many times by those who talk the talk and do nothing afterwards.

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) told Fox News that Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), a leading moderate, would be palatable to him, as would Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI)
    Thanks, I'll look into them. There would of course have to be a few Republicans voting for them, along with almost all Democrats. I'm assuming that neither voted to overturn the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into them. There would of course have to be a few Republicans voting for them, along with almost all Democrats. I'm assuming that neither voted to overturn the election.
    It might be doable. Each one would definitely vote for himself, and if all 212 Dems follow their leadership and voted for him, you'd only need five Republicans voting for him (or ten either voting "present" or not there).