Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: drying veggies

Quote Originally Posted by homemakerof6 View Post
    Wondering whos dehydrated Cabbage and were you happy with the results ? I've still got alot of Cabbage and am thinking about trying it. Thanks.
    Hi. I dehydrated cabbage a couple years back....loved it! It came out sweet and we ate lots of it just dryed....kind of like a snack. Also cooked in soups and stews....great taste.
    I didn't grow any this year...but hope to buy some at the farmer's market and dry more.

hummer

Default drying Cabbage Question

When you prepared for the dehydrator did you chop it or whole leaf?

Quote Originally Posted by homemakerof6 View Post
    Wondering whos dehydrated Cabbage and were you happy with the results ? I've still got alot of Cabbage and am thinking about trying it. Thanks.
    I bet the cabbage would be yummy dried. Since I love a veggies this thread makes me drool. Love the car dashboard idea. I've been hanging on strings behind the wood stove in the kitchen. AL

I picked up some mixed veggies-frozen from Cash and Carry. You know - the corn, peas, carrots, lima beans, green beans mix. 5 lb bag for $2.50 - what a great deal. Normally, they sell them for $4.75. The sale ends Monday so I'm going to go get another 25 lbs.

The dehydrator held two bags and I fit 5 bags (25 lbs) in a gallon jar after drying them for a night. I figure for the price, I just made some great soup additive as a prep. I also bought 25 lbs of onions at about $5.75 and dehydrated them too. They were easy (not as easy as dumping out a bag of the vegies) but the look fantastic!

The dehydrator has been running for a while now. I'm doing the frozen veggies now, but will switch to noodles as soon as the locals start selling their overabundance of eggs. My dehydrator didn't come with screens so I bought plastic canvas and cut to fit. It works great.

Someone mentioned drying cabbage. I always heard dried cabbage doesn't last as long as other veggies because it goes rancid. I've never tried it because of this. Anyone ever had a problem with that? Cabbage will be on sale soon for St. Patrick's day so I thought I'd ask now.

One other thing...I dried fresh potatoes in the past, but never frozen. Do you have to treat frozen potatoes?

I haven't had any problem with dried cabbage going rancid, but I do blach it first and then dry it to the brittle stage.

Here's how I do it. I cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Then slice it up as if I were shredding, into about 1/4 inch strips. Then I steam blanch it for 4 to 5 minutes. Then put it into the dehydrator until brittle.

Frozen veggies are already blanched so when using them, you can ommit the blanching part. Fresh veggies, such as cabbage will dehydrate better and store for a longer period of time without going rancid if you blanch. The blanching kills the enzymes that can cause spoilage.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world". ~unknown~

Quote Originally Posted by Heartofdixie View Post
    I haven't had any problem with dried cabbage going rancid, but I do blach it first and then dry it to the brittle stage.

Here's how I do it. I cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Then slice it up as if I were shredding, into about 1/4 inch strips. Then I steam blanch it for 4 to 5 minutes. Then put it into the dehydrator until brittle.

Frozen veggies are already blanched so when using them, you can ommit the blanching part. Fresh veggies, such as cabbage will dehydrate better and store for a longer period of time without going rancid if you blanch. The blanching kills the enzymes that can cause spoilage.
    Do you blanch onions then too? I wrote above that I got 25lbs for my $5 but it was actually 50lbs. I dried about 40 lbs of them, but I didn't blanch them. I hope I didn't make a mistake. They look fabulous...

Do you blanch onions then too? I wrote above that I got 25lbs for my $5 but it was actually 50lbs. I dried about 40 lbs of them, but I didn't blanch them. I hope I didn't make a mistake. They look fabulous...
    Hi there!

No worries, Alixi. No, you don't need to blanch onions, yours will be fine. There are a few veggies, you don't need to blanch. Onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, do not need to be blanched.

A general guide is, that if a veggie needs to be blanched before freezing, then it should be blanched before dehydrating. Enjoy!

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world". ~unknown~

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    The dehydrator has been running for a while now. I'm doing the frozen veggies now, but will switch to noodles as soon as the locals start selling their overabundance of eggs. My dehydrator didn't come with screens so I bought plastic canvas and cut to fit. It works great.

Someone mentioned drying cabbage. I always heard dried cabbage doesn't last as long as other veggies because it goes rancid. I've never tried it because of this. Anyone ever had a problem with that? Cabbage will be on sale soon for St. Patrick's day so I thought I'd ask now.

One other thing...I dried fresh potatoes in the past, but never frozen. Do you have to treat frozen potatoes?
    I just buy frozen hash browns and dump them in the dryer. easy as pie. when they are crisp they are done.
    momof23goats

Quote Originally Posted by Heartofdixie View Post

I did my cabbage the same exact way.
    momof23goats