Thread: Graham Crackers - make your own

Default Graham Crackers - make your own

I started to think about things that we might miss that we are used to buying from the store and I thought about Graham Crackers. They are a great snack for children and they are a must for making S'mores and other favorite desserts.

I found this recipe online. Anyone else have tweaks or favorites to add to making our own graham crackers?
    This recipe yields 24 cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup white flour
    • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    • 5 tbsp sugar
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 3 tbsp butter or margarine, cold and sliced in small pieces
    • 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
    • 2 tbsp honey
    • 1 tbsp molasses
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine flours, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Work in the butter and shortening with your fingers until the mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs.
    2. In a separate bowl, mix the honey, molasses, water and vanilla. Sprinkle this mixture over the dry ingredients and toss with a fork until well blended.
    3. Form the dough into a ball. Cover and chill for several hours.
    4. Cut the dough in half and let it sit for 15 minutes at room temperature.
    5. Sprinkle a piece of wax paper with whole wheat flour. Roll out one of the dough pieces flat to about 7x15 inches. If the dough cracks or breaks, just pinch the edges back together.
    6. Poke a fork into the dough at 1/2 to 1" intervals. Then cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. Use a spatula to move the squares to a large, ungreased baking sheet. You can place them close together.
    7. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
    8. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes at 350° or until lightly browned on the edges.

Store at room temperature in an airtight container. Should last up to a month.
    For a sweeter treat: Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon over the top of the crackers before baking.

Default Cracker recipes!!!

I remember several cracker recipes here a while ago, I copied most of them and can't find where I hid them...

If anyone knows where they are can you post them here? Or new ones?

(I wish I wasn't so disorganized...)

Thanks!
    May All Be Well

Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gamaya

May we leave illusion and come to the Truth
    May we leave the darkness and come to the Light

Default Cracker recipes

look in the kitchen list there is a thread titled Cracker recipes. I am going to try some of them. they look good. Joyce

I tried finding the old cracker recipe thread but couldn't, so I started a new one! If you have a link to the old cracker recipe thread, could you post it? There were lots of recipes, and I copied them into a file on my computer, and now I can't find that either...
    May All Be Well

Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gamaya

May we leave illusion and come to the Truth
    May we leave the darkness and come to the Light