Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question About Peaches

you know I have cooked them down before and added just a tablespoon or so of apple pie spice, and made peach butter, it is wonderful. If it needs to be sweetened you can use splenda or honey.
    momof23goats

When I can peaches, I cut them up and add a touch of citrus fresh. It's plain old vit. C, but it keeps them from turning brown. Busy day today. I have a bushel of Missouri peaches and two apple trees ready to be picked. This year with all the world events going on, I have canned more than ever.

Smile

Thanks once again for all the useful input. Today I finally got around to cutting up and freezing the remaining peaches I have, gonna make some wonderful pies down the road, also took a dozen of the nicest peaches and froze them whole to see how this works out, I need a bigger freezer lol. It'll soon be apple time here in this part of Ohio, looking to get a few bushels of different varieties for drying and freezing, I don't know about yall but, I'll take a Winesap or McIntosh over a red delicious anyday! Thanks again, my peach butter turned out great, and btw, I posted a really easy brownie recipe sometime back, if ya like chocolatey brownies you need to check it out, super simple with excellent results.
    Last edited by Tony from Ohio; 08-31-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Never confuse fat and old with slow, weak and stupid.

glad to hear your peach butter turned out great.
    momof23goats

Quote Originally Posted by Tony from Ohio View Post
    Thanks for the input. I took it upon myself to go ahead and see what I'd get. Just cooking the peaches in water only resulted in stewed peaches. I took it a step further and added some sugar, this really made a difference in the taste, brought the peach flavor out more. Then, still not satisfied, I mashed the peaches down and wound up pureeing them in the blender. I did 1/2 really smooth and the other 1/2 a little more intact, resulting in what you've all talked about, peach butter more or less. I finished it off by cooking it down over high heat until I got the desired thickness. All I can say is this stuff really has great intense peach flavor lol. What I was attempting tho was something along the jam line to freeze, I guess I'll take the remainder of the peaches and get the sure gel and go from there. Also am going to try the suggestion I read about freezing whole peaches for later use, sure would be nice to make a peach pie in December that tastes like peaches instead of bland nothing. Thanks again for the input.
    Hi, I have had very good luck with slicing peaches and apples and just spreading them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle tiny bit of sugar, pop in freezer all spread out. When totally frozen take em out, work quick and put into freezer bags. That way you will have very fresh, just picked peaches for your pies. We had a very old orchard on our farm and I did all our fruit that way, even berries, then you could just pop out of the bag the amount you wanted and put the rest back in the freezer. Good luck. AL