Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Like A Great Hummus Recipe Please

Default Would Like A Great Hummus Recipe Please

Hi, Would love a wonderful, garlic hummus recipe please if anyone would like to share theirs. Many thanks. AL

I love hummus. I adapted a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com for a hummus that doesn't call for tahini paste as nobody around here carries this.

Start with 2 cups of chick peas (the recipe calls for one each chick peas and black beans, but I don't care for the appearance of hummus with black beans...too much like mud pies!)
    In a food processor mush this up until it's mostly smooth.
    Add in 2 T each water, yogurt and lemon juice
    1 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tsp curry powder
    salt and pepper.
    Process this all together until its smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste...I usually add more seasonings and lemon juice.
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Dear Housekeeper, Thanks sooo much. Will get the yogurt and give it a go. It is so expensive to buy the tiny containers of hummus, figured to make my own is better and maybe I can get hubby to eat it. Thanks again. AL

First glance I thought is said HUMAN recipe :)

Drissel....I've cooked lots of things...THAT isn't one of them LOL!!!!
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Oh...one thing...don't forget to rinse the beans...It improves the texture a lot!

I"ll chime in with my "recipe" fwiw...

I usually cook a large batch of chick peas aka garbanzos since we like them a lot and so do our cats. I cook them until soft but not falling apart, at least I try - I use a pressure cooker, after soaking overnight, cook for 18 to 20 minutes.

I usually mash them as I do not have a food processor, I do have some mills though that I should try. Then I add (naturally no measuring, sorry) - some of the chick pea cooking juice, a small bit of lemon juice, a bit more tahini (I buy it at middle eastern stores when I'm around one, or natural food stores but their's isn't usually as good, can NOT be "raw"), salt, pepper, a bit of garlic if DH is eating it, a bit of chives if not, a dab of olive oil and mix it all up. I like to add or have on the side lots of minced parsley. I like it with brown rice or white, with a bunch of chopped tomatoes, and hummous. Or with cooked bulgur pilaf, or with tabouli.
    May All Be Well

Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gamaya

May we leave illusion and come to the Truth
    May we leave the darkness and come to the Light

Thanks BeWell, I will add some parsley if I have any left in my garden. I do love it. I use 1/2 parsley and 1/2 basil sometimes when I make Pesto as it will stretch out my basil plants and tastes terrific too. Herbs are becoming soooo expensive too we all have to learn how to make less do more. BJ

Quote Originally Posted by Housekeeper View Post
    I love hummus. I adapted a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com for a hummus that doesn't call for tahini paste as nobody around here carries this.

Start with 2 cups of chick peas (the recipe calls for one each chick peas and black beans, but I don't care for the appearance of hummus with black beans...too much like mud pies!)
    In a food processor mush this up until it's mostly smooth.
    Add in 2 T each water, yogurt and lemon juice
    1 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tsp curry powder
    salt and pepper.
    Process this all together until its smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste...I usually add more seasonings and lemon juice.
    I Have one I really like that is simumilar to this, but it is made with navy beans, and only a 1/4 teaspoon of curry.
    I love it.
    momof23goats

Hi All, Hummus made and served to a group with crackers as a dip and everyone loved it. I addapted it a bit to:

Rinse a big can of garbanzo beans in cold water til clear. put on baking sheet
    Add to baking sheet 1 cup of hazelnuts

sprinkle salt on these and bake about 10 minutes just til golden in oven at 350F.

Made an olive oil day before with 1 huge smooshed piece of garlic and quite a few sprinkles of red hot pepper flakes and let it set overnight.

Added about 2-3 tablespoons of this oil to my beans and hazelnuts into the blender.

Added juice of one lemon

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup or more of hot water

Blend all together til smooth. Taste. If too dry add alternately a little more regular olive oil and a little water, keep blending. Taste again until it is the way you want it.

I didn't have parsley and bought parsley that turned out to be cilantro. I didn't put it in the mixture because I wasn't sure everyone would like that particular flavor. Anyway, it was great and people asked for the recipe. I told them it came from a mixture of what you all had given me and adapted with what I had on hand.

So, everyone, thank you for your help. Now I will make it often. Blessings upon all, AL