Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Like A Great Hummus Recipe Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would Like A Great Hummus Recipe Please

Hi, Would love a wonderful, garlic hummus recipe please if anyone would like to share theirs. Many thanks. AL

I love hummus. I adapted a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com for a hummus that doesn't call for tahini paste as nobody around here carries this.

Start with 2 cups of chick peas (the recipe calls for one each chick peas and black beans, but I don't care for the appearance of hummus with black beans...too much like mud pies!)
    In a food processor mush this up until it's mostly smooth.
    Add in 2 T each water, yogurt and lemon juice
    1 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tsp curry powder
    salt and pepper.
    Process this all together until its smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste...I usually add more seasonings and lemon juice.
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Dear Housekeeper, Thanks sooo much. Will get the yogurt and give it a go. It is so expensive to buy the tiny containers of hummus, figured to make my own is better and maybe I can get hubby to eat it. Thanks again. AL

First glance I thought is said HUMAN recipe :)

Drissel....I've cooked lots of things...THAT isn't one of them LOL!!!!
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Oh...one thing...don't forget to rinse the beans...It improves the texture a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Housekeeper View Post
    I love hummus. I adapted a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com for a hummus that doesn't call for tahini paste as nobody around here carries this.

Start with 2 cups of chick peas (the recipe calls for one each chick peas and black beans, but I don't care for the appearance of hummus with black beans...too much like mud pies!)
    In a food processor mush this up until it's mostly smooth.
    Add in 2 T each water, yogurt and lemon juice
    1 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tsp curry powder
    salt and pepper.
    Process this all together until its smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste...I usually add more seasonings and lemon juice.
    I Have one I really like that is simumilar to this, but it is made with navy beans, and only a 1/4 teaspoon of curry.
    I love it.
    momof23goats

Hi All, Hummus made and served to a group with crackers as a dip and everyone loved it. I addapted it a bit to:

Rinse a big can of garbanzo beans in cold water til clear. put on baking sheet
    Add to baking sheet 1 cup of hazelnuts

sprinkle salt on these and bake about 10 minutes just til golden in oven at 350F.

Made an olive oil day before with 1 huge smooshed piece of garlic and quite a few sprinkles of red hot pepper flakes and let it set overnight.

Added about 2-3 tablespoons of this oil to my beans and hazelnuts into the blender.

Added juice of one lemon

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup or more of hot water

Blend all together til smooth. Taste. If too dry add alternately a little more regular olive oil and a little water, keep blending. Taste again until it is the way you want it.

I didn't have parsley and bought parsley that turned out to be cilantro. I didn't put it in the mixture because I wasn't sure everyone would like that particular flavor. Anyway, it was great and people asked for the recipe. I told them it came from a mixture of what you all had given me and adapted with what I had on hand.

So, everyone, thank you for your help. Now I will make it often. Blessings upon all, AL

Re: Hummus recipe above. I forgot to put another garlic into the blender with the other mixtures and blend away. Sorry to anyone that may have copied this. AL

Hazelnuts!? Cool idea!!! I'll try that next time I make hummus.