Thread: Using your preps - Rice and beans

Default Using your preps - Rice and beans

My dh has always turned up his nose at the mere mention of beans and rice (we're both native New Englander's) so I never served them, and only made small amounts for myself and one son. Recently he has seen the value in stocking these two items. Rather than waiting until "necessary" I'm starting to introduce beans and rice into our diet and tonight was the premiere!! I found a recipe for pinto beans online and dh actually enjoyed his meal, cornbread and sweet tea on the side. Now if I could only get him to change his mind about Greens!!

Cook Time: 5 hours

Ingredients:

• 2 cups pinto beans, dry
    • 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • dash pepper
    • 2 cans tomatoes, (16 oz each)
    • 3/4 cup diced green pepper
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 6 drops bottled hot pepper sauce (I used 1/4 t. cayene pepper)
    Preparation:

In 2-quart bean pot or casserole, cover beans with water; soak overnight. Drain. Cover with fresh water; add salt pork, onion, and garlic to the beans. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Add salt, pepper, tomatoes, green pepper, sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer 3 hours more. Serve beans with cornbread squares or hot cooked rice.
    Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Now just add pan fried pork steaks, sweet cornbread, green onions and a big glass of milk. My favorite meal!

Sounds good! Now I'm going to have to make a pot of beans and some cornbread for dinner tomorrow.

She

3-L's Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IRo View Post
    My dh has always turned up his nose at the mere mention of beans and rice (we're both native New Englander's) so I never served them, and only made small amounts for myself and one son. Recently he has seen the value in stocking these two items. Rather than waiting until "necessary" I'm starting to introduce beans and rice into our diet and tonight was the premiere!! I found a recipe for pinto beans online and dh actually enjoyed his meal, cornbread and sweet tea on the side. Now if I could only get him to change his mind about Greens!!

Cook Time: 5 hours

Ingredients:

• 2 cups pinto beans, dry
    • 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • dash pepper
    • 2 cans tomatoes, (16 oz each)
    • 3/4 cup diced green pepper
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 6 drops bottled hot pepper sauce (I used 1/4 t. cayene pepper)
    Preparation:

In 2-quart bean pot or casserole, cover beans with water; soak overnight. Drain. Cover with fresh water; add salt pork, onion, and garlic to the beans. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Add salt, pepper, tomatoes, green pepper, sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer 3 hours more. Serve beans with cornbread squares or hot cooked rice.
    Makes 8 to 10 servings.
    Recipe sounds good!

I don't know where you live but look around for a can of greens by the name of

Glory Seansoned Greens (Glory is the brand name)

Buy a can and get hubby to try it.

They are wonderfully seasoned but the nice side is if he just refuses you haven't wasted a lot of time and work.

I have cases of all the Glory products.

Their veggies are supreme for canned.

Try the Honey Carrots and the Sweet Potato Casserole

Yummy!

We love beans and rice (probably because I cook them at least once a week in some form or another).

If you are in need of recipes, please go to homesteadingtoday.com, in the survival and emergency preparedness forum (towards the bottom) there is a sticky at the top of recipes from food storage. I have tried most of them now, and most are really good!

There are even dessert recipes using beans or rice of some sort!
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Preppers seem to have this cliché about "beans and rice". A few years ago I started wondering if a person could actually live on beans and rice. So I tried it. After, oh, about three days I got a suspicious feeling of fullness. As I pondered this feeling it occurred to me that I had not dumped in, oh, about three days.

I'll spare you the details. Let's just say you really don't want to make any major change in your diet. It would be even worse if you had emotional stresses at the same time. Store what you eat. Eat what you store.

But a good way to get used to beans is eat them at least once a week. DH is very fussy when it comes to legums, but he loves them cooked this way. I got the directions from a lady from Arizona who was visiting. Simple and good.

1 to 2 cups dried pinto beans
    Water to cover
    Sit over night
    (rinse beans and refill with new water if you want to cut down gas)
    Bring to a boil and add some ham, bacon or salt pork
    1 tsp salt
    Turn down to simmer and simmer from one to five hours until tender

My friend Joseph (from an old Mexican family) has a similar recipe from his grandmother. But in their family they added slightly browned onion and garlic (do not burn) along with the pork and salt. They also had a rule about turning the simmering pot on and off. Bringing it back to a boil after it had been off awhile until it went back down to simmer.

I thought the above directions were very weird, until I cooked beans on a turf stove for the first time. That's exactly the effect you get when you pull the beans onto the "hot" spot of the stove to get them warm, then push them back to simmer then pull them forward again etc. The only way to get the same effect on an electric stove would be to turn it on and off (along with up and down). The recipe was old enough to have been done on an old wood stove in Mexico.

My Native Elder friend has yet another version,
    Same basic amounts, and use the lightly browned onion and garlic when you add the bacon or ham. But,

Replace the cooking water with chicken broth (after draining the soaking water)

Add pieces of shreded left over chicken if you have any, also good are cooked venison, buffalo, buffalo sausage, rabbit etc (pretty much any meat except lamb or fish).

Simmer for about an hour and add fresh pumpkin or winter squash (cut off the rind & chunk)

Add a few herbs, sage works well for a Native American/South Western Flavor, so does tyme

Simmer for a few hours, and just before serving add a can of corn or fresh corn taken off the cob. Do NOT add this until 10 minutes before serving or corn will flavor the soup and can become bitter.

This is also very good if you chill the soup (minus the corn if possible) over night, reheat and then add the corn.

Variations include adding tomatoes, tomatillos, summer squash, anything in season from the garden.

My friend tells me that this sort of soup-stew was pretty standard fare for the Cherokee before and after the coming of the Europeans, most long houses had a pot going day and night and people ate when they were hungry. He often does this at home and it is very good.

I'm allergic to mushrooms, but I think you can add those as well, and modern vegetarians often use them instead of meat.

So that's three variations of beans that are not chile (which my DH can't eat).

IMPORTANT NOTE: beans rinsed after they soak (or you fast boil them for an hour to soften them) will loose important vitemens. This is important during hard times, but you have to weight that against the fact that rinsing them makes them easier for people to digest with out "problems." Many people, like our Irish House-mate who did not grow up eating legumes, can tolerate them rinsed, but eating them unrinsed makes him get up and run for the out house. This sounds funny, but serious and painful cramps are not something you want to have folks experiencing during a crises if you can avoid it.

My advice, rinse your beans now (unless you family is already used to them unrinsed) continue to rinse if things get tight. But as you go from serving more and more meals with beans, experiment with serving them unrinsed afte while. Once people adjust, this is not such a problem, but until they do, better food that stays in the body long enough to keep you healthy, than a few extra vitemens that rush by to fast for the body to notice.

Also, I've tried every trick in the book to make beans less gassy, and the soak in one set of water, then rinse and cook with replacement water or stock works the best for me. Baking soda, bean-o (which I can't use but others can), etc., none seem to work as well as plain old new water. Experiment now, and see what works best for you.

Disaster Cat, who may have more pinto beans than anywhere in Ireland outside of a warehouse...(because almost no one else here thinks of them as food...)
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Disaster, that first recipe is how most people here in this area of TN fix beans except we use white beans instead of pintos. Everything else is the same. Most times we use either fat back or ham hocks for the seasoning and bacon as a last resort.

And rinsing the beans after soaking all night in the water is about the best way we have found too to cut down on the "aftereffects" of eating those beans lol. But once the weather cools down, we try to have them at least once a week. It is something we enjoy having and it is a good budget stretcher.

She (has a pot of 'em going now lol)

If you have a digestive "problem" I suggest you add nutritional yeast to your diet. Start with 1/4 tsp stirred into a drink or soft food. If you need it, that will cause gas. Take that dose daily until the gas lessens, then double the dose. Keep doubling the dose until you are taking about as much as you want. In a few days you will be free of gas, even from beans. You can't od on yeast, it's only food. BTW, yeast comes in flakes and powder. Powder has more vitamins, and I happen to like the flavor better.

Default Testing

Hi Folks. Just testing to verify I can post.
    Thanks and keep up the informative sharing of information!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “ When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see the money is flowing to those that deal, not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you………..you may know your society is doomed.”
    -Ann Rand-