Thread: Panzanella

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Panzanella

I made this today for lunch for the first time. Tomatoes, basil & parsley were fresh from the garden. The trick is to eat it right after you mix it up. Also, I used a baguette that I had frozen previously. I reduced the amount of Balsamic vinegar to 1/4 cup (instead of 1/2 cup).

"The Culinary Institute of America's Gourmet Meals in Minutes" Cookbook.

Panzanella

1 baguette, 24-inch, preferably 2 days old
    1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tbs. butter
    1/4 cup garlic, chopped
    2 lbs., tomatoes
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp. salt, or to taste
    1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    1 bunch basil
    1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped

Cut the baguette into 1-inch by 1-inch cubes. Toast in a 350 oven for 1-2 minutes or until crisp and dry, stirring occasionally if necessary.

Place the butter and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a 10-inch saute pan over medium low heat. Allow the butter to melt and then add the garlic. Saute the garlic for 2-3 minutes until it is translucent, but not brown. Toss the cooked garlic, butter and oil with the diced bread.

Slice the tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, remaining olive oil, salt & pepper

Layer one-quarter of the basil leaves on top of each other and roll into a tight bunch. Thinly slice the bunch of leaves cross-wise to create long strips of basil approximately 1/8-inch thick.

Just before serving, toss the bread, basil, and parsley with the tomatoes. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt & pepper if necessary.

That sounds delicious. Lucky you to have tomatoes already!

My first 3....I'm in New Hampshire...where are you? Alaska?