Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    This one deserves its own post:

Mouse Pie

5 fat field mice

1 cup macaroni

1/2 thinly sliced medium onion

1 medium can tomatoes

1 cup cracker crumbs

salt and pepper Boil macaroni 10 minutes. While it is cooking, fry the field mice long enough to fry out some of the excess fat. Grease a casserole with some of this fat and put a layer of macaroni on it. Add onions, then tomatoes, salt and pepper well. Add field mice and cover with remaining macaroni. Sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until mice are well done. (Don't have any field mice? You could use 10 little sausages)

I caught three so far this week, eeek! We put them in the dumpster, sticky paper and all.
    Mom of All Trades... Patent Pending

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Benjamin Franklin pen name Richard Saunders

MicahThank you for posting all these. As a kid mom would give me a variation of the adult cough syrup a few times. I'll put the mice pie recipe in my wifes recipe book and see how it takes for her to find it. One of my favorite movies is never cry wolf, came out in '84 I think. The main character is a scientist who is studing wolves to see if they can live off mice alone. The movie has a great mice eating montage when the main character tries it for himself, blender and all
    If an American is to amount to anything he must rely upon himself, and not upon the State; he must take pride in his own work, instead of sitting idle to envy the luck of others. He must face life with resolute courage, win victory if he can, and accept defeat if he must, without seeking to place on his fellow man a responsibility which is not theirs.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    - Review of Reviews
    January 1897

Quote Originally Posted by teadrinker View Post
    What a great help the med. recipes are. I was raised on homemade cough/cold recipes. and they work. Never had a recipe for them though.
    Thank you so much for posting them.

I have a question about one ingredient. What is washing soda? What name does it go buy and were can someone find it?

Thank you.
    Wow - nothing like answering a question 18 months late, is there!

Washing soda is Arm & Hammer washing soda...it comes in boxes and can sometimes be found at Walmart by the laundry detergent, but I ususally just have my local grocer order me a case of it.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

This one deserves its own post:

Mouse Pie

5 fat field mice
    1 cup macaroni
    1/2 thinly sliced medium onion
    1 medium can tomatoes
    1 cup cracker crumbs
    salt and pepper

Boil macaroni 10 minutes. While it is cooking, fry the field mice long enough to fry out some of the excess fat. Grease a casserole with some of this fat and put a layer of macaroni on it. Add onions, then tomatoes, salt and pepper well. Add field mice and cover with remaining macaroni. Sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until mice are well done. (Don't have any field mice? You could use 10 little sausages)
    I clearly missed this last time around!

All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiot View Post
    I clearly missed this last time around!

Come on, now....can you tell me honestly that if there was nothing else to eat you would not eat a mouse? Hmmmmm??? At least now you have a yummy recipe for it.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Come on, now....can you tell me honestly that if there was nothing else to eat you would not eat a mouse? Hmmmmm??? At least now you have a yummy recipe for it.
    I absolutely would, but Mickey might not approve. Now I'm just trying to decide if I have the self-restraint not to eat the other recipe ingredients first . . .

In a related vein, I recall asking DD this, when she was about 15: You just shot a pigeon, and you have 10 people to feed. What's for dinner?

She answered correctly: Soup.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Default Mouse Pie Drift ....

My girlie girl brought her breakfast into the house about 5 this morning. Munched it down, crunched a little of her dry food, hopped onto the bed with us, curled up on DH's feet and puked it all out.

Yep, been up since 5 -- Yep, washing the bedding.

Thanks for the great recipes, I really like the meds. I didn't realize it was so easy to can cheese and butter, I will try it after I finish canning the plums this weekend.

as far north in texas as you can get without getting wet in red

thanks for al the recipes, because of dry weather not much in the garden to can. will be using these this week.
    thank you so much for sharing.

E. Swain