Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unique canning and homemade recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    Wow - nothing like answering a question 18 months late, is there!

Washing soda is Arm & Hammer washing soda...it comes in boxes and can sometimes be found at Walmart by the laundry detergent, but I ususally just have my local grocer order me a case of it.
    I think here in the N.E., they are calling it 20 Mule Team Borax?? I use it and have for years when my kids were young and really playing and working in the fields hard. Takes out grass stains, etc. I think it also leaves clothes feeling softer without paying the high prices for fabric softener in laundry. (I couldn't use it in my front loading washing machine tho'). Now I have gone back to the infusion top loader washing machine and I LOVE it. Hugs to all. AL

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    I think here in the N.E., they are calling it 20 Mule Team Borax?? I use it and have for years when my kids were young and really playing and working in the fields hard. Takes out grass stains, etc. I think it also leaves clothes feeling softer without paying the high prices for fabric softener in laundry. (I couldn't use it in my front loading washing machine tho'). Now I have gone back to the infusion top loader washing machine and I LOVE it. Hugs to all. AL
    Borax and washing soda are two different things.

I found two more medicinal recipes (My great aunt gave me her grandmothers recipe box - what a treasure!)

Chronical Cough (that was her title)
    1 pint each of lemon juice, olive oil, and honey.
    one fresh egg, not broken.

Put the lemon juice in a fat mouthed jar. Wash the egg and put it in the lemon juice, without breaking it. In a day the shell will be dissolved. Remove the egg (being careful not to break the skin of it and leaving all the shell residew in the jar). Beat the olive oil and honey into the lemon juice while warming it a bit. Bottle it and keep it in the cellar. Give one teaspoon frequently.

Newmonia Cure
    Take 6-10 onions and chop them fine. Put in a skillet over hot fire then add equal parts of rye meal and vinegar to make a thick past. Stir it for 5-10 minutes and put in a flour sack large enough to cover the chest of the sick person. Put it on their chest as hot as they can stand it. When it gets cool, make another one and keep heating them as needed. Will take a few hours to heal.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

[quote=Micah68;267703]These are some old family recipes that I thought might help someone out if things go bad in the economy.

Lemon juice

If using fresh lemons, squeeze out the juice and strain the pulp out if desired. Heat the juice in a non-aluminum pan and then pour in jars leaving half inch headspace. Water bath fresh lemon juice for 20 minutes, or store bought lemon juice (I buy it in gallons and recan it) for 15 minutes.

I want to recan store bought lemon juice..... what would be the shelf life of this ??? Thx

AL- no, borax and washing soda are two totally different things. But both work very well as washing additives.

summerthyme

Thanks for the info Micah .... especially the mouse pie recipe.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by IQliberty View Post

I want to recan store bought lemon juice..... what would be the shelf life of this ??? Thx
    a minimum of several years - I think the oldest I have ever used is 5 years? I haven't had any go bad, I just use it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Thanks for the info Micah .... especially the mouse pie recipe.

O.W.
    You are welcome. All those laughing at my recipe might just wish they had it someday.....mice and rats will always be plentiful, I fear.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Thank you, some of these I already have copied but there are many I don't have( now do!) Thank you again
    Blessings,
    Kelle
    Contentment is NOT the fufillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have.