Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Love Kale!!

Default I Love Kale!!

I love kale and thought I would share with you how I fix it. Kale grows well in the garden, has a long growing season, and is very nutritious.

Boil 4-5 potatoes. Finely chop 6-8 kale leaves (I cut away the larger stems) I steam them with the potatoes while the potatoes are boiling. When the potatoes are done, so is the steamed kale. I mash them both together with a little milk (like making mashed potatoes). Then add a vegetable flavored bullion cube. Depending on if I want to be a vegetarian that day or not, I'll add some chopped ham, crumbled bacon, or whatever meat I have on hand. You can add a chopped, fried onion or whatever seasoning you want.

Thanks for posting this because Kale is coming in from our CSA and not quite sure what to do with it.

littlelion, Thanks! Sounds really good. Do you have other kale recipes?

No, I wish I had more recipes for kale. This is one of the things I am going to do this winter is experiment some. Kale grows better than weeds and it reseeds itself. So much more tastier than salad.
    I use the same idea with carrots, too. I love carrots, but they can be hard to chew on. Again, I stem them with some potatoes and mash them all together with a little milk, salt, pepper, sometimes a veggie boullion, and ta-ta, I think this is a real preppers meal. One pot cooking (on a wood burning stove if you had to) and very tastey. Again, you can add a little bacon or whatever meat you desire.
    I'll share more kale recipes as I come up with them.

Talking

I love kale too! We live in a cold climate with a short growing season, but I have kale thriving under a light covering. It continues to grow even with heavy frost if covered. I like to heat up a little olive oil and garlic to coat a medium frying pan. I let the garlic get a little golden then shut off the heat. I then add my kale which I just pull off the stem into bite size pieces. I sometimes add white rice or pre-cooked pasta with a bit more olive oil. This makes a great side dish. You could add a little left over chicken or meat to make a simple and nutritious meal. Kale is my veggie of choice. It is very nutritious and soooo easy to grow. I literally have aprox. 30 plants still growing in my garden, and I live in the mountains. I grew it all from seed. I started some plants last year around March, in my house in a sunny window. The rest I direct seeded in the garden in Spring and Summer. It tastes a lot like spinach when it is cooked. I like it in salads also. I am trying to harvest it all winter long. I read a great book by Elliot Coleman. 4 Season Harvest. He lives in Maine, and has fresh veggies he grows in his garden all winter without a heated greeenhouse. So far his ideas work. My kale is doing great.

Oh, yum! That sounds so good. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to try that. I think Kale is my vegetable of choice, too. I really love it and mine keeps going for quite a while in the winter, too.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelion View Post
    No, I wish I had more recipes for kale. This is one of the things I am going to do this winter is experiment some. Kale grows better than weeds and it reseeds itself. So much more tastier than salad.
    I use the same idea with carrots, too. I love carrots, but they can be hard to chew on. Again, I stem them with some potatoes and mash them all together with a little milk, salt, pepper, sometimes a veggie boullion, and ta-ta, I think this is a real preppers meal. One pot cooking (on a wood burning stove if you had to) and very tastey. Again, you can add a little bacon or whatever meat you desire.
    I'll share more kale recipes as I come up with them.
    If you have any turnip or rutabaga, add some too along with the carrots and potatoes. Oh, my they are wonderful with lots of butter, salt & pepper. I could live on it. (but hubby wouldn't eat it, so I will come to your house.). AL

chopped kale is wonderful added to a slow simmered pot of home made bean soup also.

Kale can be used any way you would use cabbage. The taste is somewhat similar. I especially like flowering kale. A frost turns the leaves pink or cream and the taste becomes even better.

I cook kale like other greens or put it into salads, but it also makes a good addition to stir fry or other oriental dishes. I cut it to ribbons (chiffonade) first.

I'm growing kale indoors. I tried growing it outdoors, in the cold frame, in the winter several times, but it seems to stop growing when it gets cold. Hopefully, it will keep growing indoors.

I'll have to try it with mashed potatoes. That sounds pretty good to me.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown